Competitive salary, annual bonus & pension contributions
3 months ago
Job title: Weapons System Engineer
Salary Range: £30k-£40k depending upon experience
Location: Telford, Washington OR Bristol
A Weapons System Engineer is required on a permanent basis in Telford, working for a leading military vehicle client.
The business is currently preparing for an exciting period of growth ahead of key armoured vehicle programmes for the UK MOD. We are now looking for proactive individuals with a willingness to lead and integrate into large engineering development programmes.
This is a unique opportunity to become part of the team developing, integrating and testing one of the most revered and battle-proven armoured vehicles in the world. You will become a key part of the engineering team, leading and executing your own technical area to enable the successful delivery of the programme.
We are building a team of engineers, managers and leaders who will drive excellence and deliver the best for our customers. As part of this team you will be given the opportunity to stretch and grow, and continuously develop in a dynamic and high performing group delivering a high status project.
If you are driven to succeed, thrive on challenge, and are interested making your mark in the field of military vehicle development, this role should hold much appeal.
Overview - Position Purpose
As a Weapon Systems Engineer, you will be getting involved in the creation and definition of technical solutions, including weapon system design and integration at the system and sub-system level. This is a varied role which will expose you to lots of different sub-systems.
This is a demanding role, requiring close liaison between Engineering teams and suppliers.
Significant drive and energy, strong systems engineering skills, and the ability to deliver a diverse programme to demanding time, target cost and quality requirements are essential attributes to succeed.
The candidate must be a team player who is prepared to work with a multi-site engineering team within RBSL and the customer community. The individual will be required to work across geographical and cultural divides to draw together a comprehensive engineering capability that will derive balanced system solutions.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Creation and definition of technical solutions, including, weapon system design and integration at the system and sub-system level, including areas such as:
- Fire Control Systems
- Surveillance and Target Acquisition Systems
- Weapon Control Systems
- Ballistic Computation Systems
- Analysis of customer requirements, their derivation and allocation to system, sub-system levels using formal methods and tools (DOORS).
- Management and supervision of other engineers including conducting annual people processes.
- When appropriate, the supervision of undergraduates or young persons assigned for training to assist in the development of their knowledge and skills
- Production of specifications and designs which fulfil contractual requirements and contribute to cost-effective solutions.
- Development of System and Subsystem design documentation.
- Responsible for system design and integration into vehicle platforms.
- Responsible for acceptance and verification testing of systems.
- Considering safety, risk, reliability and maintainability associated with the technical solution, in conjunction with subject matter experts.
- Review and development of a System model (SysML) in accordance with requirements and design maturation.
- Working with the engineering and customer team to assist in resolving design queries or conflicts.
- Supporting the design review process over the development life-cycle.
- Actively engage with the project team in the development of vehicle systemic attributes and physical architecture concepts.
- Supporting system trade studies to evaluate system concepts and establish preliminary designs.
- Maturity planning and management.
- Coordinate with the wider Engineering team to deliver a coherent design/platform.
- Participate in internal and external meetings or design reviews. This may involve:
- Undertaking technical presentations.
- The generation and review of technical reports.
- Provide engineering input to project submissions including cost estimating, project plans, and progress reports.
What Qualifications and Experience You Should Have
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline with postgraduate experience within an engineering environment.
- Hold or be progressing towards Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.
- Ideally have an understanding of Armoured Fighting Vehicles and their development including:
- Knowledge and application of appropriate Defence Standards for military vehicles
- Requirements management, specification and design of complex electro-mechanical systems and sub-systems
- Weapon Control Systems design and validation
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Desirably previous people management experience
- Be self-motivated and be able to work with the minimum of supervision within a team environment.
- Ideally have an understanding of SysML
- Competent in the following software packages:
- Microsoft Office
- Product Lifecycle Management tools such as TeamCenter
- Good awareness of:
- Security implications for technical material
- Design for Safety and Support
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone with Weapons System experience to work for a leading client in the industry. In return, this company will offer you:
- Competitive salary of up to £40k
- 25 days holiday
- Pension Contribution
- Annual bonus of up to 5% salary
Demand for this role will undoubtedly be high and interviews will be arranged very soon. If you want to be considered, please apply today. If you have any questions about the Weapons System Engineer please contact Jade Whitmore at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384 446133.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.