£40k - 50k per year
Job title: Systems Mechanical Design Engineer
Salary Range: £40,000 to £50,000 per annum
Overtime: Time and ½ after 37.5 hours
Hours: 37.5-hour week
Location: Telford, Washington or Bristol
Permanent role working for a leading defence/military design and manufacturing client.
2 System Mechanical Design Engineers are required with knowledge and experience of the design & integration of equipment at the system and sub-system levels.
The System Mechanical Design Engineers will be able to analysis customer requirements, work with Mechanical Engineers, create 3-D CAD models and design schemes, 2-D detail designs and production data packs using Unigraphics NX CAD packages for the solution of design problems. Candidates with knowledge of Defence vehicle systems will be well received.
Due to expansion this MOD/Defence client based in Telford, Shropshire requires 2 dynamic, leading System Mechanical Design Engineers on a permanent basis. As a System Mechanical Design Engineers you will be required to:
- Assisting in the analysis of customer requirements
- Working with Mechanical Engineers, create 3-D CAD models and design schemes, 2-D detail designs and production data packs using Unigraphics NX CAD packages for the solution of design problems
- Definition and control of interfaces via interface control drawings and space envelopes
- The generation of design and/or manufacturing information via the production of concept designs, detailed component drawings, CAD models and drawings to a recognised standard (e.g. BS 8888)
- Assisting in the validation of systems / equipment, this may include the generation of test schedules, test and integration plans and the writing/investigation of test problem reports
- Inputting and management of data in the business PDM system (TeamCenter)
- Supplier liaison during prototype and production manufacture
- Assisting in trade studies and supplier selection, including equipment / supplier surveys and selection
- Assisting in the generation of system procurement specifications and schedules of work
- Participation in internal and external meetings or design reviews with the customer
- Undertaking minor development trials and tests, both in house and at external agencies
- The generation and review of technical reports
- Ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with Company, Safety, Environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation
- Maintain accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken
- Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of project or the business
- When appropriate, the supervision of undergraduates or young persons assigned for training to assist in the development of their knowledge and skills.
The System Mechanical Design Engineersshould have the following skills or experience:
- Degree level of education, or an equivalent level of competence with appropriate training and significant proven engineering experience
- Achieved Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status or be working towards that objective
- Proficient at using 3D CAD tools, specifically Siemens NX or equivalent
- Experience of at least one of the following would be highly desirable:
- Off-highway vehicle mobility systems and performance
- Design and analysis (static and fatigue load cases) of heavy steel welded fabrications
- Design and performance of heavy positional gearboxes
- Design of off-highway passenger and operator seating
- Design and performance analysis of military armoured land vehicles
- Design & integration of crew survivability systems for armoured vehicles
- Design and integration of military vehicle ordnance.
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone with expert knowledge of System Mechanical Design Engineering within an MOD/Defence manufacturing company. In return for your experience, this Telford, Washington and Bristol based defence specialist will offer you:
- Full time permanent contract
- 37.5 hour working wee
- £40,000 to £50,000 per annum plus benefit package
- Annual Company Bonus of 5 -7.5%
- 25 days holiday plus 8 statutory days
- Contribution pension
Demand for this role will undoubtedly be high and interviews will be arranged very soon. If you have knowledge of Systems Design within the manufacturing and defence field and want to be considered, please apply today. If you have any questions about the System Mechanical Design Engineer role, please contact Matt Johnson at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384 446116
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.