- Sector: Manufacturing & Materials
- Function: Manufacturing and production
- Contact: Dan Plimmer
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Phone: 01384 446 174
- Expiry Date: 23 October 2021
- Job Ref: 58964
Supplier Development Engineer
Specialist manufacturing and engineering
Salary to be discussed on application, 25 days holiday, pension (4% and 5%)
4 x Life Assurance
This organisation is a specialist engineering and manufacturing business that is in the process of developing new products to a specialist sector.
The Supplier Development Engineer conducts all supplier quality & supplier development activities for this specialist engineering firm. This will include working closely with the Head of Procurement & Supply Chain, the Chief Engineer, and the development partner, as the BoM cost is optimised, and supplier audits are undertaken. The Supplier Development Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that all suppliers are audited through a robust, already-developed process, with an ongoing development plan for continuous improvement; those parts are approved for production supply utilising the APQP to PPAP workflow; and to develop general Supplier Quality and Supplier Development Plans and Processes for ongoing process and supplier excellence.
As with all Supplier Development roles, there will be an element of UK travel.
- Assess, measure, and develop suppliers via on-site Quality, Cost, Logistics, Development, Management (QCLDM).
- Carry out audits (remote & on site), Implementation of Lean, Best in Quality, Production Parts Approval Process (PPAP) & Advanced Parts Quality Planning (APQP).
- Participate in BoM-wide Value Add/ Value Engineering activities.
- Review supplier capacity in readiness for planned production run rates, using standard Overall Effectiveness & Run at Rate activities.
- Be the expert in Supplier Quality
- Develop and implement the appropriate metrics to measure and improve Supplier Quality Performance
- Collaborate with suppliers to form mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Ensure process control standards are in place and monitored, identifying improvement opportunities.
- Monitor suppliers’ adherence to ECN (Engineering Change Notification) & PCN (Process Change Notification)
- Develop the supply base to ensure they fulfil requirements across the key metrics, to include delivered quality, on time delivery performance and continuous improvement as a minimum
- Support the Supply Chain Strategies.
- Review, Approve and validate 8D permanent corrective action plans.
- Take ownership of the Supplier Quality Records Database.
- Substantial experience in Supplier Quality Assurance/ Supplier Development in an Engineering or Manufacturing environment.
- Longer experience will be valued as will demonstrable experience of managing Supplier Quality / Development with powertrain suppliers
- Experience in & good understanding of Lean Manufacturing methodology.
- Experience of working in a ‘blue chip’ manufacturing / engineering organisation where ‘automotive level’ procurement and supply chain processes and practices have been demonstrated
- Ideally has also worked in a Small, Medium Enterprise (SME) and is able to demonstrate the ability to ‘roll their sleeves up’ and personally get things done as part of a small team
- Integrity is paramount
- Team player, comfortable with supporting, and accepting support from, colleagues
- High energy to drive results with enthusiasm and pace
- Willingness to travel Europe-wide and, when necessary, globally
- Ability to balance ‘hands on’ with longer term vision and processes
- Makes the best decisions for the business, not just within a functional ‘silo’
- Determination to achieve the best possible business results
- Minimum HND in an Engineering discipline.
- Continuous Improvement/ Lean qualifications (preferred).
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.