- Sector: Automotive
- Function: Purchasing and procurement
- Contact: Mark Bignell
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: 01384 446167
- Expiry Date: 29 October 2021
- Job Ref: 59115
Supplier Development Engineer
This business is a niche automotive design and vehicle builder that is currently undergoing a huge period of growth, with the introduction of impressive, new product lines, as a result we are looking for an exceptional Supplier Development Engineer that has been involved in start-ups and developmental manufacturing. A major element of the role will be to set up the department from a standing start, implementing process and procedures.
You will be responsible for communicating and delivering the technical requirements - Engineering, Manufacturing and Quality deliverables to the supplier base in accordance with established standards.
Insuring fully conforming, process capable and efficient supplied products at competitive cost without detriment to overall delivery or final product performance.
Ensure that supplying companies’ systems, processes and build capabilities meet the design intent of the customer and are compliant with the end customer’s needs.
You must be able to travel to other production locations and suppliers based within the UK or overseas upon request and as required in support of the role, as such a clean driving licence and passport are essential.
- Interface with component teams to prioritise supplier development needs by component to improve cost competitiveness or supply constraints
- Research external market information and entrepreneurial companies to identify potential sources and suppliers
- Drive supplier selection through robust qualification processes
- Assess new and existing supplier capabilities to meet product, cost, quality, capacity, and fulfilment ensuring suppliers can meet requirements for performance, quality, cost and delivery of components and requirements for applicable customer and internal system and reputation requirements
- Based on screening, prioritise preferred suppliers
- Drive improvements utilising Lean methodologies, implement supplier scorecards and own supplier audit, ensuring supplier compliance, whilst driving systematic problem solving and process improvement plans to deliver value
- Create and track the supplier’s performance indicators, based on their scorecards and rankings, to facilitate and develop the supply base’s ability to consistently meet or exceed defined expectations
- Develop positive relationships and work closely with sourcing leaders to manage, implement, and track supplier/engineering, design changes, capacity studies and New Product Introductions, and transfers
- Deliver results as measured by key metrics, such as supplier yield, field cost, field defect rate, supplier quality plan engagement/effectiveness, and corrective & preventative action closure
- Act as consultant to communicate and coach the Quality, Manufacturing, Engineering, and procurement organizations to drive cost effective improvements to Quality and Manufacturing processes, minimising waste, introduce new products and improve product design
- Provide leadership during investigations of major problems and or special projects focusing on developing working relationships with suppliers and the supply chain regarding product development and procurement of parts.
- Assist with new product launch by working with suppliers to ensure that key milestones are achieved
- Work with Engineering team to define process parameters and criteria to ensure supplier process capability is effective to meet product and process requirements
- Keep up with current and developing manufacturing and engineering trends that concern product quality
- Develop and manage the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions
- Undertake continuous training and development
Key qualifications, skills and experience required:
- Experience in Supplier Development, Sourcing, Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing, and program management
- Experience of MRP and ERP systems.
- Experience in developing and implementing vendor qualification
- Knowledge of quality and business systems
- Commercial and financial acumen
- Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
- Vast experience with cross functional management
- Report and Procedure writing with excellent presentation and oral skills
- Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
- Relevant manufacturing/engineering degree preferred
- Substantial experience in an SME environment, preferably automotive
- Experience of dealing with customers and suppliers
- Analytical and numeracy skills, strong problem-solving skills with high attention to detail
- Initiative and results/target focused
- A good understanding of, Quality conformance requirements and of Continuous Improvement
- Good understanding of customer expectations and deliverables with an awareness of the impact of failure/cost of poor quality
- An understanding of manufacturing processes
- Have an appreciation of wider business demands
- Strong PC skills
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment, providing input and feedback in a professional manner
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and ability to work under pressure and prioritize own workload as required
- Proactive and positive approach, with a desire to succeed both personally and for the business
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.