Role: Software Developer - 6 months contract - extension possible
Location: Smethwick, Birmingham
£50 - £60/hour (flexible on experience)
Standard 37 - 40 hour week on site in Smethwick, Birmingham
The project is a cloud-based web application used by large retailers for managing a large installed base of weighing scales. The application allows the customer to send product information, advertising and labelling information to thousands of installed scales and to read back diagnostics information. Application is deployed on the Google Cloud Platform as a multi-tenant and multi-user architecture system and will include the following functionality:
- User interface from managing users, installed scales and business data.
- Scalable communication engine to transmit data to and from scales.
- Scalable cloud SQL database
- Dashboards for data visualisation
- Plugins to customer business management systems
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Work as part of a development team across the full SDLC.
- Evaluate software libraries and technologies to satisfy requirements
- Document software design choices and participate in design reviews
- Implement code to the agreed design
- Perform unit, integration and regression testing
- Time-served experience in cloud based web application development
- Enterprise level multi-user application development in the cloud or on premise
- Exposure to development environments (such as NetBeans or IntelliJ)
- UI Design: Responsive web design, Dashboards
- Databases: MySQL, SQL-Server
- Protocols: TCP Sockets, JSON, REST API, HTML, HTTPS
- SVN source code control and change management systems
Preferred Experience (not essential)
- Deployment to Google Cloud Platform
- Web Security
- Development using Spring framework
- NoSQL development
- Elastic, Logstash, Kibana for dashboards
- Cloud network architecture design
- Team player able to articulate technical concepts effectively to colleagues
- Ability to solve complex problems using a logical and structured approach
- Strategic and quality orientated software design thinking attitude
- Comfortable working at all stages of the software development life cycle
- Ability to work to agreed and sometimes challenging deadlines
- Circa £50.00 - £60.00/hour rate (flexible dependant on experience)
- Approx. 40 hours per week (flexible)
- Based in Smethwick, Birmingham
- Opportunity to be a key player in an innovative project into the consumer retail sector
- Flexible and autonomous working approach as part of a small team in a progressive yet friendly atmosphere
- A wide range of career development opportunities across a diverse global group of companies
With over 200 years of rich heritage, this specialist company has always been associated with trust and honesty. Over the years, they have proven they understand the changing nature of markets and customer needs in line with the ever-changing world around us. In doing so, we have built a reputation for constantly evolving to deliver exactly what the customer wants with visionary performance been one of industry firsts, technical advances and design triumphs.
Today, this is an international business with an excellent world-wide reputation. A trusted brand name associated with making a wide range of quality, innovative products with a continually changing focus.
If this sounds good to you
This projects as a challenging yet highly rewarding contract opportunity for someone looking to develop future career contracting prospects within a diverse and innovative global organisation.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Contracts are those of an Employment Business.