£30.00 - £40.00 per hour
about 2 years ago
Senior Package and DMU Engineer
Department: Vehicle Integration
Duration: 30 Weeks
A leading automotive OEM is in search of experienced Vehicle Packaging Engineers to join them on a minimum 6 month basis.
- General vehicle packaging activities with respect to positioning of components and creating packaging schemes and layouts.
- To analyse CATIA designs and highlight components that do not fit correctly, foul other items, are misaligned or generally do not fulfil their required role within the context of the vehicle.
- Review component package against system assemblies
- Report package and clash issues to project teams
- Propose alternate solutions to responsible designer/ release engineer
- Ensure component design standards comply with DMU assembly rule
This role gives the candidate the opportunity to work on class leading prestige sports cars. Lotus is under new management who are investing heavily in facilities and people, with this level of expansion there are a number of roles that this candidate could progress to.
The candidate will be expected to work with guidance from package lead and VI Chief engineer.
From a package perspective the candidate will be expected to create package concept schemes and layouts as required, these will need to cover legal, ergonomic, in house criteria and general spacial constraints.
From a DMU perspective - DMU is part of the Virtual build series and engineering sign off process and the DMU engineer will be expected to highlight, then facilitate the solution of issues so that parts can meet sign off criteria.
The DMU Engineer will need to assist in maintaining the DMU chart which is a reference chart that aids in the location and contents of CAD installations. Although not owning each installation that build up the car the DMU engineer will be responsible for Policing these installations and liaising where required to get things corrected.
The candidate will be expected to understand the roles of the Studio engineer and package engineers and work very closely with them. Within Lotus these groups work very closely together.
The successful candidate will be expected to support the design studio and engineering community from sketch phase through clay development to surface release. Provide solutions to DMU problems, support engineers/designers who are using CATIA, CAS, clay or Alias. Must have a good automotive knowledge and be prepared to look at new designs and find possible solutions to engineering and design issues
Qualifications and Experience (Essential & Desirable criteria)
- Engineering Degree/HND or equivalent
- Experience of concept and detail design of mechanical and automotive components.
- Experience of aeromodels, mules and seating bucks
- Experience of full vehicle packaging.
- Ability to run efficient meetings
- Ability to deliver on time and work to a plan.
- Good presentation skills.
- Good level of ability with office programmes including Exel, Word and Powerpoint.
- Must have high level of competency with Catia V5, being able to create and manipulate models.
- Previous experience of CAD data management, team centre
- Previous experience of full vehicle programmes from concept to production.
- Ability to create solutions to problems from a blank page with minimal guidance.
- Highly self motivated.
- Willing to work as part of a team.
- Support the design process from the sketch phase through to Clay / CAS model.
- They will need to provide solutions to problems; it is likely these will have implications to the designed surfaces. If required work engineers and designers to apply engineering's requirements in the most sympathetic way to the design to make sure it is feasible.
- Ensure the design meets the technical requirements in terms of performance, legal's, cost and part manufacture / assembly.
- Experience of ergonomic seating bucks in order to set criteria targets
If you are interested in this job, please APPLY NOW. For more information, contact Lois Weston at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384446119.