about 2 months ago
Senior Structural Engineer - Orpington
We are supporting a leading multi-disciplinary construction and property consultancy based in Orpington (Kent) who are seeking a Senior Structural Engineer to join their busy group of Residential, Civil and Structural Engineers responsible for the timely and cost-effective management of projects to which they are allocated.
Reporting to the Partner in charge of the department, Interaction with Clients and other members of the Design Team will be a key undertaking of the position. The role will include inspection and reporting on existing structures, Party Wall Engineering reviews, detailed design of structural elements, team and project management and business development. They should pay attention to detail and be adaptable with a good command of the English language, and have an organised, mature and professional attitude.
As a growing company providing a definitive range of services to the UK building and construction industry (covering chartered building & quantity surveying, project management, architecture & master planning, civil & structural engineering, mechanical & electrical engineering, sustainability and health & safety), the duties of this role are as follows:
- Report to, and take direction from, the Partner(s) in the Residential, Civil and Structural Engineering Group.
- Manage projects from inception to completion to ensure that deliverables are issued to programme, to the required quality standard and within the budget set by the Partner.
- Act as lead or sole designer as appropriate to size of project.
- Prepare reports, general correspondence, etc. as required in connection with the running of projects.
- Undertake scheme and detailed design as appropriate on individual projects, including preparation of detailed design calculations, checking drawings and other deliverables.
- Supervise and mentor other Engineers and Technicians within the team.
- Undertake survey inspections and produce written reports in good English.
- Review structural information for 'Adjoining Owner' in respect of Party Wall Awards and provide comment in clear written English
- When required by the Partner, assist other members of the Team to complete tasks, particularly in relation to meeting project deadlines.
- Liaise with other members of the design and construction team, representing the Civil and Structural Engineering Group.
- Preparing design programmes for production deliverables.
- Financial and resource management of projects.
- Team Development, work winning and Client management.
- Assisting in pursuing late payments by Clients.
To support this role, you will need to have/be:
- A Degree specifically in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years design experience on building structures projects in UK.
- Experience in projects with construction values in excess of £40M.
- Competent and reliable designer in structural steelwork, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber.
- Experienced in refurbishment and change of use designs as well as new build work.
- Excellent knowledge of standard engineering practices, techniques and procedures.
- A high level of understanding of project management principles and practices.
- Familiar and empathetic with all forms of building construction.
- Good attention to detail and able to produce written reports in good English.
- Able to work with minimal supervision but provider of continual feedback to Partner in Charge.
- Team worker with good communication and people management skills through a mature and professional attitude.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) and Member of Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) or Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE).
- Current experience of leading and managing structural engineering design projects.
- Sound knowledge of construction contracts and professional agreements and experience in negotiating fee agreements.
- Be a Chartered Engineer through either the Institution of Civil Engineers or Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Proficient in the use of analysis and design software (TEDDS, TSD, etc).
- Experience in selling multi-disciplinary consultancy services and in leading and managing multi-disciplinary project teams comprising internal teams and sub-consultants.
- Proven leadership skills, including business development, client relationship management, technical leadership, team building and motivation.
If you feel you have the skills and experience to support this role, then please apply directly or contact Matthew Heath (email@example.com).
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Executive Search, a leading technical and industrial consultancy. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Executive Search are those of an Employment Agency.