Big Data Senior Software Engineer (JOB NUMBER: 00052789)
MAXIMUM SALARY £48,000.00
Contracted Weekly Hours: 37
Employment Type: Permanent
Location: Dorchester or New Malden
Would you like to be involved in future technology for UK Naval Combat Systems?
As a Big Data Senior Software Engineer, you will be part of the Core Technology Office team working on Big Data technologies to harness the value within data and information on board systems deployed with the Royal Navy.
This role is an exciting opportunity to be involved in and explore future technology and enable you to gain further exposure across the business.
We are involved in a wide range of projects, from offshore patrol vessels through to Type 26 Global Combat Ship and QE Class aircraft carriers, the projects you'll be involved with are exciting and challenging and will form the backbone of the Royal Navy for decades to come.
Your main responsibilities as a Big Data Senior Software Engineer will involve:
- Researching and evaluating technologies and solutions to new problems
- Scoping and identifying issues with new requirements
- Delivering components and subsystems with the programme
- Delivering against budgets
Your skills and qualifications:
- Experience of using big data technologies within the Open Source domain
- Familiar with Windows and Linux development and deployment
- Familiar with Java C++ and C++ languages
- Exposure to the full software lifecycle from design, test and acceptance
- Naval Combat Management Systems experience
- Experience of building prototypes and demonstrators within an Agile development environment
- Understanding of Networks (architecture and protocols)
- Experience with Virtual machines and VMware ESXi
What we're looking for in you:
You must be able to work with minimal supervision, be pro-active, diligent, and have good problem solving and team-working skills.
Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience and perspectives. We offer the flexibility you need to do what's important to you, whether that's part time hours, job sharing, home working, or simply the ability to flex your start and stop times. Where practical, we'll support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your full potential. Talk to us about Smart Working.
If you are interested in this opportunity please contact Tim Parkes on or call on 01384 446145