Welwyn Garden City
£55k per year + attractive
about 1 month ago
Senior Software Engineer
Welwyn Garden City
***Important - All candidates MUST be eligible for UK Gov Security Clearance at the time of application***
We have been at the forefront of innovation in the satellite communications industry for two decades, offering to all its stakeholders unrivalled expertise to design, develop and operate state-of-the-art solutions and systems, world-wide. Our portfolio of services and technology know-how covers the entire spectrum of any satellite communication project, from market opportunity sizing and end-user requirements down to ground network development and operations. To both commercial and defence related domains, we also offer unique understanding and insight to enable a more user-friendly and accessible use of satellite communication resources.
Innovation and ingenuity are the guiding principles of anything we do for our customers. Working with us requires a high level of dedication and personal motivation, commitment and a drive to continually seek to improve things but the results our Group has consistently achieved over the years, at personal and team levels, are outstanding and make us a great place to work.
We develop software and products inspired by our expertise in satellite communications and network management and, as part of a team, on behalf of our satellite network operator/service provider and satcom equipment manufacturer customers.
There is an opportunity to join our software team as a Senior Software Engineer, providing a lead role in specification of software requirements, software architectural and detailed design and implementation of real-time satcom system software.
Within the system and software scope, development tasks are similarly varied and include embedded software defined radio for signal processing, Graphical User Interfaces for satellite network management tools and Automated Test Software.
- Development of real-time and embedded software systems across the whole lifecycle, from requirements, design and implementation through to validation and deployment.
- Production and maintenance of software components for customer and in-house real-time satcom system tools
- Project leadership to other members of the team, including software development skills mentoring/coaching.
- Contribution to best practice and improvements both within our company and within our customers in the software product development lifecycle.
- Managing software design and development activities for the project team including task effort and cost estimation for the whole based on previous experience and lessons learned.
Skills, Character and Experience
- Able to demonstrate a real enthusiasm for software and computer systems, and what these can do for others
- Have an interest in improving the system development lifecycle and efficiency of the pipeline to create robust software for a real purpose in an industrial environment
- Ability take responsibility for delivering personally and on behalf of others; able to function and communicate effectively within a team and with other personnel
- Excellent communication skills with ability to produce and present clear, concise and unambiguous presentations and documents
- Graduate with good honours degree in maths, science (including computer science) or in an engineering subject but with extensive experience in software development
- Security Cleared or ability to be Security Cleared
- Experience in leading, mentoring and coaching teams to promote best practice software engineering standards and techniques.
- Ability to apply object-oriented principles to information and software design; ability to work with abstract concepts, express and communicate them through documentation
- Strong software development skills across the lifecycle, including ability to construct distributed and cloud-based systems and RESTful interfaces
- Extensive experience of UML including use case analysis, OO design, behavioural modelling and using OO design tools (e.g. Enterprise Architect or similar)
- Ability to program in Java or Python, or in another OO language
- Strong experience and awareness of software deployment in operational environments and the resolution of software problems in these environments
- Experience of working in space/satellite industry and understanding of satellite radio communications systems and management
- Experience in a Model Based System Engineering Environment and use of SysML to carry out requirements analysis and traceability as well as system architectural design and interface definition
- Understanding of IP networking and network protocols as well as service/network management principles
- Understanding of Relational Databases and experience in developing queries to databases
- Development of embedded software or VHDL on Xilinx platforms
- Experience in using MATLAB and Simulink to design or analyse Digital Signal Processing Systems
If you are interested in this opportunity and meet the minimum Security Requirements and Technical Requirements then please apply now!
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.