£42k - 47k per year + benefits package
4 months ago
Job: Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Commutable from Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Salary: Circa £45.000
Industry: Special Purpose Machinery and Automation
Jonathan Lee has engaged with a key client and a leading special purpose machine manufacturer based in North Cambridgeshire. Due to an increase in new projects my client is recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, or someone who is looking to step into a Senior Design role for a permanent position. As the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer you will report into the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
- To develop the product range to ensure competitive position of the companies specialist machines.
· To issue machines and ancillary equipment to contract, produce factory layouts complete with services and installation information.
· To provide assistance to Sales and Customer Services departments on technical offering to ensure smooth contract execution.
- To identify risks and put in place plans to maintain cost and schedule.
- To maintain modular product structure for product range.
THE JOB (Main Duties):
- To provide product leadership and ensure specified solution is implemented within the agreed schedule and costs
- To manage priorities to ensure project schedules are maintained.
- To ensure accurate drawings and parts lists are produced in accordance with the business standards and quality procedures.
- To ensure compliance with CAD best practices.
- To be fully competent in the use of Siemens NX and TeamCenter ensuring compliance with best practices.
- To ensure compliance of the equipment with legislation (e.g. EC Directives).
- To ensure compliance of the equipment with company standards and quality procedures.
- To maintain and update drawings and parts lists, and completion of change requests.
- To work with suppliers to ensure applications are fully and reliably implemented.
- To undertake calculations for design work, both on contracts and development projects.
- To brief field engineers and visit site when necessary.
- To support engineering development, sales and customer services as appropriate.
- A highly motivated, confident and dedicated professional.
- Currently in a key role within a design team.
- Competent in the use of 3D design and ERP business systems.
- An innovative engineer with an analytical approach to problem solving.
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent experience level in Engineering.
- Able to work alone or as a member of a design team.
- Good communication skills.
- Good PC literacy skills - Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Able to travel both within the UK and throughout the world.
- Experienced designer of low volume / bespoke industrial machinery
- Good 3D CAD design experience using NX, Solidworks, Inventor or similar
- Modelling machined components, fabricated parts, sheet metal and assemblies.
- Good drafting experience of machined components, fabrications and assembly drawings
- Good knowledge of different manufacturing methods, their benefits and limitations
- Good level of PC Literacy - Windows, MS Office, Outlook etc
- Willing and able to occasionally travel to customer / supplier sites in the UK and Worldwide
- Motivated, confident and professional with good communication skills
- Experience of working on multiple projects concurrently, prioritising tasks accordingly
- Good attention to detail, cost and quality in particular
- Able to select suitable materials, with a good appreciation of the benefits and limitations of each
- Experience designing hygienic machinery, for the food or pharmaceutical industries
- Experience leading a small group of engineers, or a willingness to do so
- Experience using an ERP system (Epicor or similar)
- Experience producing CE documentation to the European Machinery Directive
- Including Machine Safety Risk Assessments
- Able to carry out hand calculations to ensure designs are fit for purpose
- Possess an appreciation of PLC control systems and electrical equipment in design
- Experience creating design concepts and developing them into working designs
Any of the below would be beneficial
- Experience of the food industry
- Pressure vessel design experience to PD5500, ASME or European standards
- Experience designing heat transfer equipment, such as ovens, provers, cooling systems etc
- Experience using FEA software such as ANSYS to evaluate designs
- Commercial experience / awareness
- Project management experience
- Experience of value engineering, problem solving, FMEA's
- Experience of pneumatics / hydraulics, conveyor design, bearing selection, motor sizing, material
Sound interesting? Please contact Daniel Warby at Jonathan Lee Recruitment for further information and apply! Applications for this role will be high and interview's are available immediately.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.