- Sector: Land systems
- Function: Manufacturing and production
- Contact: Jade Whitmore
- Contact Email: Jade.email@example.com
- Contact Phone: 00000
- Expiry Date: 15 December 2021
- Job Ref: 59821
Job title: Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Salary Range: £42k-£48k + excellent benefits package
Location: Washington, Sunderland
We are currently recruiting for a leading defence client who designs, manufactures and supports world leading military vehicles. The business is currently preparing for an exciting period of growth ahead of key armoured vehicle programmes for the UK MOD and are now looking for proactive individuals with a willingness to lead and integrate into the In-Service Support (ISS) engineering team.
To be successful in this role you must be proficient at using 3D CAD tools, specifically Siemens NX or equivalent with the ability to check the work of others using this software medium and be Competent with Microsoft applications, CAD PLM tools such as TeamCenter and knowledge of a SAP data management tool.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be involved in the design & integration of equipment at the system and sub-system levels for a range of armoured vehicles operating in the land environment.
This is a demanding role, requiring close liaison between, other Engineering teams, functions, subsystem suppliers and the customer and military user where required.
Significant drive and energy, strong engineering skills, and the ability to deliver a diverse range of tasks to demanding time, target cost and quality requirements are essential attributes to succeed.
The candidate must be a team player who is prepared to work with a multi-site engineering team within RBSL and the customer community.
- 1. Undertake the Mechanical engineering tasks associated with the development of specific systems / equipment, including :
- The analysis of customer requirements and their subsequent decomposition into functional system and sub system design requirements.
- Liaison with Customer representatives, Classification Authorities, test facilities and Suppliers, as necessary to discuss technical issues and problems.
- Generation of design specifications and / or design schemes.
- Provide calculations as required to justify a proposed course of action.
- Generation of interface control specifications, drawings and space envelopes.
- The generation of design and / or manufacturing drawings.
- Validation of any systems / equipment, by the generation of test schedules, test and integration plans and the writing/investigation of test problem reports.
- Maintain accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken
To be successful in your application as Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you will have the following experience and qualifications:
- Degree level of education, or an equivalent level of competence with appropriate training and significant proven engineering experience
- Achieved Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status or be working towards that objective
- Practitioner in the broad discipline of mechanical engineering and its integration with others, capable of managing and supporting a design solution through the full Engineering Lifecycle
- Good interpersonal, verbal, written and presentation skills are essential, together with a sound working knowledge of engineering design of Armoured Fighting Vehicles and associated systems.
- Competence with Microsoft applications, CAD PLM tools such as TeamCenter and knowledge of a SAP data management tool
- Proficient at using 3D CAD tools, specifically Siemens NX or equivalent with the ability to check the work of others using this software medium
- Experience of at least one of the following would be highly desirable:
- Off-highway vehicle mobility systems and performance
- Design and analysis (static and fatigue load cases) of welded fabrications
- Design and performance of heavy special to role/ combat engineering equipment
- Design and performance analysis of military armoured land vehicles
- Design & integration of crew survivability systems for armoured vehicles
- Design and integration of military RBSL vehicle products, derivatives and support equipment would be an advantage.
- Design & Integration of Mobile hydraulic systems
- Knowledge of MoD organisations and have experience of direct customer and supplier liaison.
In return for your commitment, our client will offer you the following:
- Competitive salary of £43k-£48k depending upon experience
- Full time permanent contract
- 37.5 hour working week
- Annual Company Bonus of up to 5%
- 25 days holiday plus 8 statutory days
- Contribution pension
Demand for this role will undoubtedly be high and interviews will be arranged very soon. If you have experience with NX and want to be considered, please apply today. If you have any questions about the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer role, please contact Jade Whitmore at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384 446133 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.