- Sector: Electrification
- Function: Purchasing and procurement
- Contact: Dan Plimmer
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: 01384 446 174
- Duration: Perm
- Start Date: ASAP
- Expiry Date: 15 July 2022
- Job Ref: 61966
Senior Electronics Buyer
Strong basic salary, to include Hybrid working, Pension, 5% and 4% to start,4 times life assurance, private medical scheme, Dental scheme
This rapidly growing SME Advanced engineering firm provides high value, low to medium volume components to a variety of sectors, including automotive and aerospace. The organisation is increasing volumes and output and now requires adding expertise to its purchasing team.
As part of a purchasing function, we are looking to speak to purchasing and procurement professionals that have worked in a manufacturing and engineering environment in particularly within electrics and understand PCB supply chain and suppliers.
Main purpose of the role:
- Reporting directly to the Purchasing Team Leader, this role focuses on developing, implementing, and managing Supplier interface in relation to Commercial terms, design for manufacture suitability of components within both the project and commodity environment.
- To help develop and maintain the commodity and supplier strategies in line with the department’s key objectives.
- To actively contribute to special projects as defined (e.g. Cost Reduction, DFM, Lead-time reduction, Inventory reduction and Cashflow improvements)
- To support the Purchasing departments deliverables in terms of Project Purchasing and Engineering Change Order Responses
- Lead/Support the appraisal and onboarding of suitable electronics suppliers that can support the organisation through the supply of PCBs and looms for development and production programmes.
- Act as the primary interface between the organisation’s electronics suppliers and internal stake holders.
- Lead cross functional project meetings involving the supplier and internal project team members.
- Develop and implement purchasing strategies primarily for the electronics commodity, and other commodities as required.
- Collate and present information to update the project team on the status of key deliverables.
- Work closely with the quality team to ensure supplier quality issues are addressed, and counter measures are put in place in a timely manner.
- Lead/Support sourcing activity for new projects from concept through to volume production, ensuring appropriate sourcing progress is being made in line with the Programme gateway checklist.
- To ensure the Purchasing for automotive volume programmes is in line with the companies formal Supplier Nomination Procedure and by ensuring supply contracts are in place at the appropriate programme milestone.
- Develop and maintain purchasing documentation and processes to ensure all key stakeholders are clearly updated at the appropriate points.
- Lead supplier negotiations with regards to the (QCD elements) around new technologies and design improvements, to ensure value for money and that all QCD production targets can be met.
- Purchasing for specific projects or programmes to support project needs of timing, quality, specification, and cost.
- Purchasing Lead in project team meetings and information flow. This will involve working cross-functionally with other departments and internal customers (e.g.Engineering, Prototype Build, BOM, Planning & Stores etc.)
- Effectively negotiate the price of materials ensuring the best total acquisition cost.
- In response to ECNs, Project demands and Requisitions, source components and materials in compliance with the approved suppliers list, company procedures and at pricing and timing to meet business needs.
- Loading Purchase orders in line with best practise and company procedures
- Maintain up to date delivery dates on MRP system to ensure visibility of arrival dates
- Support the expediting of purchased components where necessary, to achieve due date adherence. Resolving or escalating any issues as required.
- Support day to day project requirements as required, where necessary provide escalation route to the expediting function.
- Maintain best working practices at all times and compliance with Company Procedures and Health & Safety Policy.
Skills, knowledge, and abilities
- Extensive experience in sourcing PCB assemblies, with an understanding of the components involved.
- Literate in all MS Office applications
- Highly numerate
- Working knowledge of SAGE 200 Manufacturing or similar with particular focus on BOM development and Works Orders structure.
- Able to communicate at a high level
- Understand technical drawings and bills of materials.
- Familiar with PPAP requirements
- Knowledge of precision manufacturing processes and materials.
- Effective communicator at senior levels.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Significant experience of purchasing within a similar engineering and automotive environment.
- Confident in negotiating a price / lead time balance, to maximise the value of the outcome for the company
- Contract negotiation skills
This role requires candidates with excellent communication skills, the ability to hold technical and commercial conversations both internally and externally with the global supplier base.
This business can be described as “on point” they are right in the mix for the electrification revolution and have ambitious growth plans over the next 5 years, not only turnover, but expansion into other markets.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.