Section Leader: Laboratory
Automotive Tier 1
Excellent salary and benefits
This organisation is part of a multi-national automotive component manufacturer. They have a well-established base in Shropshire and are looking to recruit a Section Leader for their laboratory facilities. We are looking for someone who has experience of managing a laboratory in a fast-moving environment.
- To lead, develop and coordinate all company Laboratory testing and validation activity and resources.
- To ensure effective testing and validation processes that meet customers need / expectations, recognised specifications, legislation and lead times.
- To initiate, participate and drive focused kaizen within the laboratory.
- To verify part, products or processes conform to design requirements.
- Development, maintenance and management of company calibration system.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health, Safety and Environmental
- Ensure all activities within the laboratory are conducted with due consideration of the latest Safety / Environmental and Quality standards.
- To develop and ensure risk assessment guidelines for all activities are met.
- Ensure PPE is worn where identified in SIR or risk assessment.
- Ensure 5S practices are followed.
- Ensure parts purchased and products manufactured conform to customer expectation / design requirements through testing and validation.
- Determine life expectancy of products through testing to customer specifications.
- Perform structured product analysis to determine cause of failure.
- To understand and support the 'Built in Quality with Ownership philosophy and support its application and strengthening company wide.
- Ensure all non-conformance's are challenged, escalated, understood through thorough investigation.
- Co-ordination and management of overall product testing.
- Management of company calibration system.
- Ensure parts and products are tested and validated thoroughly in a timely fashion such that gateway timings are met, and any risk escalated appropriately.
- Pro-actively contribute to your own self-development to ensure your knowledge is at an appropriate level for all current activity and future challenges.
- Provide technical support to other sections, suppliers and the customer in order to achieve continuous improvement and enhance overall effectiveness.
- Utilise effective communication techniques with supporting sections to achieve resolution of identified issues.
- On time testing and validation in line with agreed milestones.
- Kaizen implementation.
- Quality PPM target.
- Safety targets.
- Environmental targets.
- Compliance to the requirements of ISO/TS16949 and IATF.
- Responsible for 6 direct reports.
- Provide data, analysis and robust reports in terms of product testing, validation and analysis.
- Technically support team members.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- HNC /HND in Engineering discipline.
- experience in managing a laboratory in a fast-moving environment.
- Supervisory experience e.g. conducting performance reviews.
- Gravitas - ability to lead and manage experienced team members.
- experience in technical role e.g. testing to destruction, measuring, assimilating information, understand how heating, ventilation and air conditioning works.
- Highly motivated to develop technical understanding and challenge to learn new skills.
- Knowledge and understanding in the effective use of business management systems and processes.
- High level of numerical and analytic ability.
- Ability to read and understand drawings and technical specifications.
- Proven presentation skills.
- Problem solving techniques.
- Computer literate - Microsoft office.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Previous Metrology experience.
- Previous Metallurgy experience.
- Standard knowledge, ISO9001/ ISOTS16949/ISO14001 / OHSAS18001 IATF.
- Experience within automotive industry or fast paced manufacturing
For more information, please apply or contact