£65,000 - £75,000 Plus Benefits
over 1 year ago
Job Title: Research Manager - Sensor Hardware - 45947
Salary: £65,000 - £75,000
Location: Wiltshire, South West
Posted Date: 28/08/2019
Expiry Date: 27/09/2019
The Research Manager role will be responsible for the management of the Sensor Hardware sub team within the Power & Electronic Systems Research team, which sits within Technical Research; reporting to the Head of Power and Electronic Systems Research.
The Sensor Hardware team will be responsible for identifying key sensor technologies in the aforementioned areas to explore, working with our technology scouting team, as well as identifying areas where we can patent and develop our technology. The team will work with the Embedded Electronics and Software sub teams to bring to life complete sensor systems from signal acquisition, conditioning and algorithmic processing for use in our products and test rigs.
Applicants should be proficient in creating and developing sensor hardware, with particular focus on gas, particulate and optical sensing.
The role involves:
- Leading and taking technical responsibility for the Sensor Hardware sub teams within the Power and Electronic Systems Research team, covering multiple elements of several sensor projects.
- Owning the sensor hardware architecture in certain sensor projects.
- Working with the different sub teams within Technical Research, as well as NPI, Technology Scouting, other research groups and development teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using your expert knowledge of the latest sensor technologies to identify potential technology uses and develop innovative solutions.
- Working with third parties worldwide to identify and incorporate sensor hardware into our products, or develop sensor hardware where appropriate. Ability to manage NDAs and complex third parties relationships is essential.
Qualifications, skills and behaviours:
- BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering, BSc/MSc in Physics or other relevant discipline, or a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry. A candidate should be able to demonstrate proficiency in sensor design and test.
Applicants should ideally have experience in the following areas:
- Sensor Systems
o Knowledge of a wide range of sensors that can be used in a variety of projects and not necessarily in existing categories you would expect from our client. An understanding of sensing systems, which can include but is not necessarily limited to gas, particulate, optical and inertial based sensors.
- Hardware design:
o Experience of optical sensor design utilising UV, visible, NIR or MID-IR wavelengths.
o In depth knowledge of metal oxide, MID-IR and adsorption based gas detection sensors.
o Knowledge of PM2.5/PM10 particulate sensing using optical and gravimetric approaches.
o In-depth design knowledge of semiconductor processes used in the manufacture of a variety of optical sensors.
o In-depth knowledge of circuit theory and design of analogue and digital signal conditioning hardware.
o Experience of analogue amplification and signal conditioning circuitry and design of OP-AMP stages such as differential amplifiers, integrators etc.
o Experience of semiconductor packaging design and test.
o Knowledge of VHDL or Verilog
o Knowledge of real-time embedded C programming would be advantageous.
- Design Tools:
o Knowledge of semiconductor design, schematic capture and PCB layout using electronic CAD tools.
o Use of SPICE based simulation tools.
o Design calculation tools such as Matlab and Microsoft Excel.
- Design Techniques:
o Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis.
o Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
o Robust design including FMEA techniques.
o Familiar with creating requirement documents.
- Lab experience
Essential Management skills:
- A candidate should be able to demonstrate previous people manage experience, including running 1:1 meetings with direct reports and setting objectives.
Please send your CV with salary expectations and notice period to email@example.com.