Global Project Tooling Engineer - Plastics - FMCG Manufacturing - Leicester base with global travel - salary competitive and negotiable DOE.
Here is something a little bit different. We are looking for a Project Tooling Engineer to join a global innovation center based in Leicester. The Innovation center supports new product development for manufacturing facilities across the globe. The team consists mostly of innovation experts, Design Engineers and you, an experienced Tooling Engineer with a particular strength in plastic injection mould tooling.
You will be working with both product/component and tooling designers and you will be consulting with them on the viability of components for manufacture at the conceptual stages identifying both adjustments that need to be made or in some cases components that just can't be moulded.
We will be looking for you to support the team and global manufacturing units with a right first time approach to tooling solutions for plastic injection moulding machinery. You will be managing multiple projects over multiple products and any one time and delivering projects on time and in budget is paramount in the role.
This is very much a hands on position in which you will work on new or LCM projects from the RFQ stage, through order placement, supplier management, buy off, commissioning, final sign off and acceptance. You will be supporting tooling purchases valued in the region of £5m per year over Circa 40 suites of tools. The role will require for you to sp[end approximately 70% of your time outside of the UK. This will be across a combination of visiting tooling suppliers and tool makers in the far east for buy off and inspection and also in company manufacturing plants across the world for the trial, commissioning and handover of procured tooling.
Some key duties within the role will include:
- Expert in tool qualification, knowledge of scientific moulding process. Will be responsible for tool validation to company process.
- Responsible for evaluating technical issues in order to develop proposals for investigations and/or solutions.
- Plan, control and deliver assigned projects, ensuring requirements are delivered to plan and budget (managing a number of projects at any one time)
- To work alongside the customer on new and existing product development ensuring delivery of solutions to meet the customer's requirements
- Excellent working knowledge of problem solving and failure mode avoidance tools (Six Sigma 8D and DMAIC)
- To ensure that any changes to product specification, project scope or deliverables requested by the customer are identified and considered for their commercial and timing implications and that they are communicated to the relevant Commercial Manager before agreement and implementation ensuring uncontrolled creep of project scope does not occur.
If you are an "expert" in the development, purchase and validation of plastic injection mould tooling and would like more information on the innovation centre, the business and the opportunity please click the apply now button to submit your CV to Jonathan Lee Recruitment.