Job Position: Product/Senior Design Engineer (Electronics)
Reporting To: Design Manager
Job Status: Permanent Staff
Qualifications: Engineering Degree
As a result of growing demands for our award winning range of diesel engines and a number of exciting engine development programmes, we are seeking a Senior Design Engineer. The post will suit an individual looking for an opportunity to develop their career within a fast paced organisation at the cutting edge of engine design and development.
You will be responsible for taking new engine systems and components from concept to flawless launch, ensuring a robust system/component sign-off meeting all regulatory, quality, cost and timing requirements.
- Deliver engine systems/components from concept to delivery - from specification, through analysis, testing and development, to engineering sign-off.
- Create system and component specifications and design (cascaded from programme targets) - using/commissioning the relevant analysis tools to support data driven design decisions.
- Develop system and component FMEAs, and DVPs.
- Co-ordinate and supervise DVP tests/analyses (analytical, rig, engine and machine)
- Resolve engineering issues using recognised methodologies
- Support programme gateways and reviews
- Provide clear communication and support to all customers, engineering teams and suppliers:
- Coordination with other functional areas, such as programme teams, purchasing, quality, other development teams
- Monitor and report status to relevant parties
- Highlight issues in a timely and appropriate manner
- Supplier management:
- Work in a simultaneous engineering environment to support the development plan, ensuring design for manufacture and assembly.
- Manage suppliers via the APQP process
- Work with suppliers to deliver prototypes and PPAP parts to schedule, meeting quality and performance requirements
- Communicate lessons learned, propose design guide/process updates.
In addition to a passion for engineering, a proven track record of delivery, and a desire to be 'hands-on' with projects from concept to completion, the candidates will:
- Have a degree in an associated engineering discipline (or relevant time served experience), with a sound understanding of engineering principles (showing an attention to detail, and being data driven).
- Have a sound grasp of the engine product development cycle, and expertise in engine system and component specification, design, development and sign-off (using relevant tools)
- Ideally, have experience with an engine manufacturer or Tier 1 supplier
- Demonstrate good project and supplier management skills, and good commercial awareness
- Be able to work well under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly and concisely at all levels
- Show flexibility - the role requires travel to customer and supplier sites
This role will be based in the Electrical Design Department, specialising in the design, test and delivery of engine sensors and electrical harnesses for current and new engine designs. In addition to the above requirements, the ideal candidate will:
- Have a working knowledge of CAD (NX), PLM systems, and Zuken or Vesys
- Be able to understand, create and edit 3D models, wiring diagrams and schematics with a high degree of attention to detail
- Possess a sound knowledge of vehicle electrical systems architecture and engine based sensors
- Demonstrate the ability to diagnose, test and fault find electrical systems
Demand for this role will undoubtedly be high and interviews will be arranged soon. If you have knowledge of this area and you want to be considered, please apply today. If you have any questions about the Product Design Engineer role, please contact Lois Weston at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384446119.