Our client are currently supporting an OEM on multiple Interiors Commodities for new
vehicles through the Virtual design gateways through to eventual manufacture and
assembly phases pending successful nomination from the OEM.
As a Product Engineer you will be part of a core team of Engineers and Designers tasked
with the Design / Development and integration of the Interior commodities, supported by
an infrastructure of specialists from areas such as Tooling / Process / Validation / Program
You will develop the commodity through the virtual phases to the agreed program timing
and achieve on time tooling kick off with a fully validated, compliant and optimised
Particular focus will be on weight / cost / complexity reduction whilst maximising
craftsmanship and quality feel.
Key to your success will be liaising with the OEM and our internal teams to ensure
customer concurrence and team feasibility ahead of tooling kick off.
You will be responsible for managing your own time and planning the necessary activities/meetings to deliver the project within the budgeted hours.
- Experience in a Product Engineering role within Automotive Interiors,
- specifying and developing new parts.
- Tier 1 or 2 experience preferred in A-surface components, kinematic parts,
- injection mouldings and post wrapped parts.
- Knowledge of design of Pillars, Headliners, Luggage Trim or Door Casings
- In-depth knowledge of Automotive manufacturing processes and testing/validation standards
- Working knowledge of role-related technical skills: GD&T, DFM/DFA, CAE/FEA, CAD, FMEA, DVP&R.
- Experience of working with Directed Source Suppliers (DSS)
- Experience in generation of design concepts and surface development desirable.
- Be fully accountable for all issues that are design/engineering-related.
- Demonstrate full ownership of product attributes.
- Escalate roadblocks and issues as required to Lead Engineer
- Be data-driven in all aspects of product design and problem-solving
- Design according customer styling, technical requirements and specifications.
- Laise continually with internal and external customers, foster a "no suprises" approach to product launch
- Pictorial Bill of Material generation
- Support VAVE activities
- Support cost estimates in relation to product and process changes, and liaise with Operations, Sales, PM to ensure all recoverable costs are specified in the quotation.
- Determine and apply the most appropriate and cost-effective solutions.
- Control product through formal Engineering changes
- Design for Manufacture
- Design for Assembly
- Awareness of CFD & CAE
- Keep comprehensive records and minutes to ensure any cost liability discussion is backed by appropriate evidence