Principal Modelling & Simulation Engineer
Department – Control and Simulation
Reporting to – Technical Manager
Clifton, Bristol, UK, moving to Filton, Bristol, UK in December 2019.
Contract type – Permanent - Job Reference – 18/19
Our Aerospace Client is now seeking to recruit a Principal Engineer to support upcoming programmes of work within Stirling facilities and on-site with our customer. The Principal Modelling and Simulation Engineer will work within a team responsible for producing models (Aerospace systems, marine systems, equipment level models and simulation) for aircraft development programmes. The work involves the development of models and control algorithms together with testing, validation and performance analysis to further assist the system design and verification. As a Principal Engineer the role will also include the technical leading of control and modelling projects, to include the task definition, supporting and approval of the work of junior engineers.
The modelling activities may feed into larger internal projects, in which case demonstrable experience of working across multi-disciplinary teams is required, or delivering modelling output directly to external clients.
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level or equivalent in a related discipline (preferably Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics or Physics) and must be able to demonstrate a very good understanding of fundamental modelling principles of vehicle modelling, systems, and/or equipment. The candidate must have relevant industrial experience within the aerospace or marine sectors and have a good knowledge of engineering analysis, methods, processes and simulation tools, particularly Matlab/Simulink.
The candidate should have a minimum of 8 years’ experience including the leading of modelling tasks. The candidate should have experience with version controlling models and have knowledge of configuration management processes. The successful candidates will have strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to work independently and within teams of engineers.
- Manage multiple projects and deliver within agreed timescales and budgets.
- Interact with internal and external customers on a technical and programme level.
- Deliver engineering solutions at a consistently high standard (self-checking results).
- Maintain the project documentation in line with the quality plan.
- Lead technical solution for bids including budget estimate.
- Provide support to business to pursue new opportunities.
- Formal requirements capture and their negotiation, verification and management.
- Develop check and/or approve systems specifications for systems.
- Support the development and promotion of the Company system engineering processes.
- Support the development of new business proposals, through technical content, work breakdown and hours / cost estimates, and where necessary provide technical iteration with our customers to promote a successful outcome.
- Be responsible (delegated or otherwise) for the quality of all applicable project outputs.
- Representation of Stirling Dynamics with existing and potential customers.
- Provide technical direction within the skill domain to junior engineers. • Reviewing the performance of team members.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- A relevant engineering degree or equivalent.
- An advanced user of Matlab/Simulink.
- Experience of ADAMS, AMESIM and other similar tools would be an advantage.
- A proven ability to derive mathematical models of physical systems from fundamental engineering principles.
- Experience with dynamics modelling and/or experience modelling hydro-mechanical and/or electromechanical systems and/or experience with control systems and architecture in either aerospace or marine domains.
- Ability to reverse engineer models from a defined architecture.
- Development of models in line with updates to specification.
- Development of test specifications and their implementation in code.
- Experience of working within a configuration-controlled development team (GIT or Perforce/Helix)
- Report writing and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
- Experience of model validation against a test specimen.
The personal qualities of the jobholder will be key to success in this role. The following characteristics and qualities are identified as essential for the roles:
- Self-motivated, mature candidate with the ability to solve problems independently.
- An ability to manage multiple tasks, to work effectively within a team or independently when required. • Good interpersonal skills, including a diplomatic and professional approach when dealing with people.
- The confidence and desire to gain a full understanding of issues.
- The capability to work efficiently and accurately, with an attention to detail, and the discipline to self-check results.
- Good organisational skills, including record keeping.
- Able to act in a customer facing position
If you are interested in this position please apply now!
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.