Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
about 2 years ago
Job Title: Principal Engineer - Energy & Smart Grid
Salary: Negotiable Dependant on Experience
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Principal Engineer to lead a multi-skilled power electronics design team who are currently working on a number of projects within the energy and smart grid markets.
- To support the Business Development and Commercial teams in identifying and winning strategically aligned projects.
- To assist the Business Development director in defining the strategy for Energy & Smart Grid product exploitation.
- To deliver a product technically compliant to the requirements of the customer within the prescribed lead time and meet the financial requirements defined by the clients tendered budget.
- To provide a professional technical interface between company and the customer.
- To define and model the product system in line with the customer requirements and the company tendered bid to ensure the design meets all requirements and is stable in all operating conditions.
- To define and produce the system functional description for the design to disseminate the requirements to the rest of the technical team and to ensure customer acceptance of the design is achieved at the earliest opportunity.
- To work closely with the project manager to ensure that the project execution is approached in the most efficient and risk reduced manner.
- To define, control and monitor the technical work packages allocated to the project delivery team.
- To review and approve all documentation, component specifications and internal technical procedures.
- To schedule and chair design reviews of all project sub systems to ensure compliance with the technical requirements, product safety, risk (programme and technical), cost and manufacturability.
- To co-ordinate he production of all presentation material and supporting & deliverable documents for all major design reviews.
- To attend and present design review materials at the customer premises (as necessary).
- To identify and communicate technical scope growth, specification creep and variations.
- To assist in the management of the customer to ensure that the documentation deliverables do not exceed the tendered scope of work.
- To ensure that all products are fully compliant prior to dispatch from company by appropriate qualification testing. To provide advice on all aspects of design and engineering to other senior managers and staff to ensure effective decision making.
- To actively promote Health and safety across the function and the site.
- To support all quality initiatives proposed and utilised by the company.
- Degree qualified (BEng 2:1 or higher) in Electronic Engineering (Essential)
- Post graduate qualification in Electronic Engineering (M.Eng or PhD), Member of IET, Chartered Engineer (Desirable)
- Experience of Energy and Smart Grid power products and markets, being able to support preparation of technical bids and exploitation strategies for this sector.
- At least 5 years design and test experience of Power Electronic Converters (AC:AC, DC:DC, DC:AC) and/or Motor Drives.
- Be able to demonstrate experience in using simulation tools including Matlab/Simulink.
- Knowledge of Power Electronics Design, Analogue and Systems Engineering, Digital Electronics, System Simulation, Embedded Systems and Control Engineering. Knowledge of EMC standards and mitigation through design.
- Desirable: Knowledge of microprocessor control, software development, thermal design and specification of electromagnetic assemblies. Proven managerial and leadership skills i.e. experienced in managing day to day running of a team of 3-6 multi-disciplined engineers.
- Good communication and presentation skills, written and oral. Motivated and organised individual who is at ease liaising with customers and suppliers as well as other internal functions within the company.
- Capable of determining a strategic technical direction and steering the team to fulfil the agreed objectives.
- Comfortable with working as part of a team both within the function and cross functionally with other department stakeholders.
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like more information please contact Lee Elwell on 01384 446 154 (Direct Line) or your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Contracts are those of an Employment Business.