£52.5k - 52.6k per year + Range of very competitive benefits
Job title: Principal Design Engineer
Salary Range: £52,600 + Perm benefits including competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Flexible working is also available.
Location: Portsmouth Navy base
We are currently recruiting for a Principal Design Engineer to work on the Small Boats design team for a leading defence maritime client in Portsmouth.
As a Principal Design Engineer, you will be responsible for providing design capability across a broad spectrum of projects, this includes providing solutions in support of new build and development for small craft.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to gain exposure to various types of small craft in a versatile and experienced team, you will also have the opportunity to set up new processes and shape a growing team.
The main responsibilities of the role will be as follows:
- Leading engineering projects from requirements definition through to delivery
- Provide sound estimates for engineering work carried out.
- Providing technical guidance to other team members.
- Oversee and conduct design tasks such as 3D modelling, drawing creation, component design.
- Responsible for drawing creation and drawing processes within the engineering team.
- Participating in a wide range of activities including concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to the small boats sector.
- Drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients.
- Participation in the preparation and submission of technical proposals and tenders as directed by bid the manager in order to provide costed proposals for future work under the authority of the SDA.
- Maintaining accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken.
Your skills and qualifications:
- In-depth small craft design knowledge (such as RIBs and vessels below 20 m)
- Boat building experience
- Experience of 2D / 3D Modelling (In house package NX)
- Knowledge of Small Craft design standards and processes (IMO, MCA, ISO, DefStan, Classification Rules)
- Experience of leading design projects
- Experience leading a team
- Understanding of commercial or military small craft
- Experience of Marine engineering
- Exposure to a production environment
- Knowledge of Composites vessel design
You will be Capable of communicating technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, with colleagues, management, and externally, this will allow you represent our client both in the supply chain and customer communities. Furthermore, you will be able to lead design tasks within your own knowledge area and use this to motivate others.
Demand for this role will undoubtedly be high and interviews will be arranged very soon. If you want to be considered, please apply today. If you have any questions about this Principal Design Engineer role, please contact Jade Whitmore at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384 446133.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.