- Sector: Off-Highway
- Function: Product design and development
- Contact: James Tilley
- Contact Email: James.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Phone: 01384 446126
- Expiry Date: 14 December 2021
- Job Ref: 59500
Principal Design / System Engineer
Competitive salary plus benefits
As a Principal Design / System Engineer you will be responsible for all stages of development from concept to flawless launch, meeting all regulatory, quality, cost and timing requirements.
You'll lead a team of engineers, ensuring they deliver the work programme from specification through analysis, testing and development, to your final sign-off, as well as supporting in-house quality and manufacturing service teams to resolve complex technical issues.
The applicant should ideally have an extensive working knowledge of powertrain systems in either on or off highway vehicles / machinery as well as a good base engineering experience in fabrications, mouldings etc.
Your Responsibilities as a Principal engineer:
- Lead a team of engineers (UK based + India design team) throughout the product development cycle
- Simultaneously championing multiple projects and ensuring they meet project deliverables
- Coordination with other functional areas, such as programme teams, purchasing, quality, other development teams including reporting to senior management / directors
- Develop design briefs / design concepts - solutions / validations plans & delivery plans
- Generate project timing plans, technical requirements, budgets etc
- Support engineering sign-off requirements / f it for purpose sign off for all propulsion systems and components with the use of DFMEA's, DVP's etc
- Support reviews & generate documentation to prove the machine meets the latest legislation requirements
- Support the creation of system and component specifications and design (cascaded from programme targets) - using/commissioning the relevant analysis tools to support data driven design decisions
- Resolve engineering issues using recognised methodologies
- Reviewing CAE results & calculations to simulate machine performance / life prior to validation testing phase
- Develop design standards & test procedures, rig operation, test equipment etc
- Supporting continuous improvement initiatives including cost reduction and quality improvements
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a degree in an associated mechanical engineering discipline, with a sound understanding of Mechanical Engineering principles (showing an attention to detail, and being data driven)
- Demonstrates and has whole machine / system knowledge. Has ability (not just technical) to advise and influence other engineers though knowledge and expertise
- Be able to work to deadlines and deliver on time
- Capable of presenting to in a confident effective manner
- Have a desire to invent the future and lead rather than follow
- Technical coaching and mentoring for junior team members to aid their technical development and future growth
- Ability to problem solve and analyse failures
Please contact James Tilley for more details.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.