Competitive Salary + Benefits
6 months ago
Principal Design and Style Engineer
Salary: £Competitive Plus Benefits
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Principal Design and Style Engineer to work as part of a Special Vehicle Projects (SVP) team, to define the product design and styling strategy of the product demonstrators.
You will have extensive industrial experience of motorcycle and automotive design and development, primarily focused in 3D visualisation and rapid prototype, CAD design and polymer manufacturing.
To provide design and styling leadership in research and development activities in the field of motorcycle and automotive ‘last mile’ design, in order to successfully deliver the aims of the SVP project.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To define the product design and styling strategy and architecture of the product demonstrators, liaising with the senior project leaders and partners to agree on content.
- To actively participate in high-level decision making for the research direction of the project as part of strategic planning reviews with the Chief Engineer and other relevant personnel
- To provide the leadership of motorcycle and automotive design and style, including the creation of prototypes in 3D visualisation and rapid prototype, for the successful and timely delivery of outputs from the SVP project. This includes effective: planning, monitoring, use of resources, analysis and presentation of results to meet project targets.
- To represent WMG as a credible authority on motorcycle and automotive design and styling to a wide range of current and future collaborative partners.
- To translate the project deliverables into a successful plan of work through the management of the design team, to deliver within the project budget and timescale.
- To generate research ideas and liaison with Chief Engineer to secure a stable research plan.
- To ensure that the research and industrial collaborative activities within the SVP project offers the most appropriate solutions for WMG and the industrial partners.
- To disseminate project outputs through presentations, seminars, teaching material, conferences, papers etc to a wide audience, as appropriate.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Honours Degree (2.1 or above) in relevant subject, e.g. Mechanical engineering, Manufacturing engineering, Product engineering, Automotive engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Extensive industrial experience of motorcycle and automotive design and styling, primarily focused in 3D visualisation and rapid prototype, CAD design and polymer manufacturing.
- Experience of senior roles within multi-partner collaborative research projects with the ability to provide technical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and researchers.
- Experience of identifying and adopting collaborative research projects.
- Experience of day-to-day management of staff as part of a research project.
- The ability to influence and negotiate in a confident and professional manner, with excellent communication skills, (written and verbal) to interface appropriately with students, academics and industrial collaborators
- A hands on approach to the delivery required to achieve the project outcomes and the ability to analyse and solve complex problems with multiple stakeholders
- The use of a creative mindset to provide multi-material solutions beneficial to the project.
- The ability to demonstrate an innovative approach in the overall product design, allowing for the implementation of new technologies into the design.
- The ability to work in collaborative projects with the ability to identify key areas of innovation and research coupled with the ability to work independently and as part of a team, managing workloads for yourself and the team you are managing.
- Proven ability to correctly prioritise a broad range of requests from many customers, both internal and external and ensure safe operation.
- The ability to deliver results to budget and timescale constraints.
- Current knowledge of all applicable Health and Safety consideration required to ensure the safe operation of the facility.
- Holder of a current motorcycle and or car licence.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Chartered Engineer, or the ability to operate at the equivalent level
So if you have a true passion for design and styling projects with a track record in delivering research and development programmes, and would like to be considered for the Principal Design and Styling Engineer position, you should apply today as demand for this role is expected to be high. For further information please contact Nick Jones by email email@example.com
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.