Title: CAE Analyst
Contract Position based at: Gaydon + travel to suppliers
Rate: Up to £27.00 per hour
Reporting to the Technical Manager, the successful candidate will develop, use and maintain virtual vehicle and system models in our proprietary 1D simulation tool (using Matlab Simulink) used for the delivery of X-CarLineelectrified powertrain systems (mild Hybrid, Hybrid, Plug-in Hybrid and Battery Electric Vehicles) that will ensure JLR's success in the future automotive market.
Model output reports will allow the business to appropriately size and control the future electrified powertrains to efficiently balance challenging attribute targets for Performance, energy efficiency, driveability, thermal and durability / reliability and relate these to powertrain system commodity costs, weights and complexity for the vehicle lines.
- Able to create and interrogate in Matlab Simulink, from first principles, mathematical and logical models that define the behaviour of mechanical and electro-mechanical systems present in Automotive Powertrains.
- Strong analytical capability and breadth of CAE experience (3+ years), with a proven success in complex system model development (using both forward and reverse causality approaches), including validation and correlation to vehicle under demand from a driver. Able to identify and respond to the strengths and limitations of computer-based modelling
- A strong technical knowledge of key powertrain and hybrid technologies (e.g. engine, transmission,cal&controls, e-motor, inverter, battery)
- Proven success in application of an industry-standard system modelling toolset (e.g. Simulink, Dymola, MATLAB etc.) for analysis of dynamic system behaviour, problem-solving and/or system optimisation, including model correlation
- The ability to create and interrogate from first principles mathematical and logical models that define the behaviour of mechanical and electro-mechanical powertrain systems
- A good working knowledge of engine, transmission, driveline and hybrid / electrified architectures and operating characteristics
- Able to recognise and qualify the impact of powertrain (including hybrid and electric) system characteristics and principal vehicle attributes upon vehicle performance and efficiency metrics.
- An understanding of linear vehicle dynamics and engine and transmission matching principles.
- Applicants will ideally be qualified to degree level (e.g. BEng, BSc or MSc, or equivalent), or HND, or equivalent, with considerable experience
- Knowledge of JLR Hybrid & Electrified Powertrain systems desirable
- Experience or awareness of PED attribute development desirable
- Knowledge of target setting & requirement cascade process desirable
- Knowledge of pollutant emissions, calibration methodologies and regulatory tests desirable
- Experience in data processing, manipulation and graphical presentation and an interest and willingness to develop these skills further.
- Able to demonstrate a high level of motivation, initiative and resourcefulness in overcoming problems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; able to communicate technical concepts, data and conclusions to a wide audience.
- Good interpersonal skills; able to work within a team and network effectively across a wide number of departments.
Applicants will ideally be qualified to Degree level (e.g. BEng, BSc or MSc, or equivalent), or HND, or equivalent, with considerable experience
The role is principally based at Gaydon Engineering Centre, but meeting support at other JLR Midlands facilities and Suppliers will be required. Candidate must have a full (preferably clean, UK) driving license.
If you are interested in this CAE Analyst role, please get in touch with Lois Weston at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384446119.