Role: Operations Manager (Energy from Waste)
Location: Grangemouth, Scotland
Salary: Competitive Salary
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Operations Manager to join our client at their facility in Grangemouth, the role will be managing the operation of their Waste to Energy Plant and to ensure conformance of all workers, legal and regulatory requirements, quality and environment assurance standards, Health and Safety, and work in accordance with permit to operate under SEPA regulations and company policies.
The role will report into the Plant Director and have direct responsibilities for Site Team Leaders, Plant Operation Staff and Maintenance Staff. In the absence of the Plant Director and Maintenance Manager to take full responsibility for all aspects of the plant.
- Manage and control the efficient disposal of waste delivered onsite, while ensuring the reliable and economic generation of steam and electricity.
- Ensure that the operation of the plant is in strict accordance with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements, quality and environment standards, health and safety, PPC permit requirements, Company policies, and all company Safe working practices for the Back-up Boiler (BuB) and the Waste to Energy Plant (WtE) and in accordance with the site regulation for the rest of the erection site.
- Monitor and control the quality and quantity of waste coming into the plant with Team Leaders for compliance to procedures and ensure each vehicle (waste, chemical etc) is weighed upon arrival and departure.
- Manage personnel to fulfil the timely execution of recording, daily and ad hoc reporting, tests and tasks and CMMS.
- Planning and performance of all operational activities necessary to conform to statutory requirements. Delegate this responsibility to Team Leaders while having regular input through daily communications with the control room.
- Ensuring that the plant staff correctly monitor all emissions and environmental impacts and are aware of their duties and responsibilities towards health/safety and the environment.
- Thoroughly investigate the cause of any emissions / incidents and implement any corrective or preventative action to prevent re-occurrence.
- Proactive review of all responsive and corrective operational activities to identify repetitive issues and propose longer-term measures and solutions where necessary.
- Liaise with contractors as the need arises.
- Ensure and notify the Fuel Suppliers of the Fuel Delivery requirements forecasting.
- Ensure production and consumption forecasting (Electricity, gas, Ash product...). To participate in the COMAH test drill and implement any required follow-up actions or measures for improvement following COMAH tests and drills conducted at the Site within the time period agreed between the parties.
- Ensure to hold the Facility open for the receipt of Fuel during the specified opening hours, except as a result of a Force Majeure event.
- Ensure that all data reporting on planned and unplanned daily events is recorded correctly, promptly and dealt with by appropriate persons within the required time scales.
- Ensure that the daily cleaning on the external parts of the site and the internal tipping hall area keep the external areas of the Site in a clean and tidy condition in accordance with Grade B standard (such grade as described in the Code of Practice on Litter and Refuse (Scotland) 2018).
- Ensure that the weighbridge is fully functional and is calibrated when required and including producing weighbridge reports as necessary.
- Organise the removal of by-products from the plant i.e. unacceptable waste, fly ash, bottom ash and other effluents and residues, while overseeing that plant cleaning schedules are fulfilled to a satisfactory standard.
- Updating of Plant Operating Instructions, and Risk Assessments and issue instructions to staff.
- To supervise, control, support and motivate staff within the team.
- Participate in the preparation, planning and execution of the annual outage and any unplanned shutdowns.
- Actively participate in yearly forecasting and annual maintenance and lifecycle plans.
- Produce and send monthly and weekly Forecast reports, and shut down reports to the Project Co.
- Responsible for ensuring that all staff are trained and competent in the performance of their duties by utilising the T100 system and ensuring attendance to all planned training.
- Regular review of competence of all members of the team and to identify relevant training needs.
- Development of clearly defined procedures for all programmed activities and review where necessary to account of changes in operating systems and equipment.
- Develop and establish clear procedures, instructions and method statements of all operational activities.
- Monitor and analyse all output related data in respect of controls, tests, mishaps and technical reports (including emissions/tonnage/incineration etc).
- To prepare and work within the agreed operations budget and to manage its expenditure.
- Effectively manage all holiday requests and absences within the operations department, and ensure that adequate cover is consistently maintained.
- To carry out annual staff appraisals, in line with Company policy.
- Contribute to the overall performance of the Company through co-operation/assistance with other company plants, shared experiences, supporting of initiatives that are approved and supported by the senior management team.
- Keep abreast of, and be conversant with all relevant legislation and to interpret and communicate it to all staff while giving clear guidelines in respect of appropriate action required.
Health & Safety and Environmental:
- Be responsible for the day to day health and safety on site with a functional link into the company’s health and safety manager
- Control the establishment and use of the Permit to Work system.
- Ensure there is a high standard of housekeeping on the plant at all times.
- Act as Safety controller within the Company’s Permit to Work (PTW) system.
- Ensure full compliance and application of the Permit to Work system in relation to associated operations/maintenance activities.
- Report and take action against any contravention of statutory and company Safe working practices, this includes reporting accidents and incidents.
- Highlight any necessary changes required within Plant Operating Instructions (POI’s), and Risk Assessments.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with all departments.
- Be fully aware of the obligations of the SEPA operating permit and the Project Co agreement. This should be reflected in the monitoring of routines and other plans.
- The above duties are not exhaustive. The job holder will also be required to carry out other ad hoc duties that are necessary.
- Strong Leadership - Experience of managing a team is essential.
- Commitment - Continually keeping up to date execution plans (including the schedule and the mobilization of personnel and equipment)
- Competency - Ability to demonstrate excellent Health and Safety behaviours at all times, while ensuring and enforcing safety expectations are continually implemented and maintained.
- Competent/good written and verbal communication skills in English for interfacing with the project Commissioning Teams as well as Client representatives and the wider staff base.
- Able to work under pressure and effectively execute all plans for successful operation of the Plant.
- Ability to work at height and in confined spaces/restricted entry, supported with relevant training and experience of competency.
- Relevant knowledge and recent experience in the operation of steam to energy and high pressure boiler systems.
- Minimum HND level of qualification but preferably trained to degree level in a technical/engineering capacity
- CCNSG Safety and NEBOSH General Certificate would be advantageous.
- Computer Literate – Able to manipulate data on Microsoft packages and basic IT software, (including our internal systems CMMS, and DCS).
- Proficiency to be maintained by attending conferences/training as required.
- High voltage authorised person electrical experience and qualifications highly desirable.
- IOSH Managing Safely experience.
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like more information please contact Lee Elwell on 01384 446 154 (Direct Line) or your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Contracts are those of an Employment Business.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.