In support of this globally based company supplying a range of testing services to a variety of industries, the position of Operations Director is principally to lead their Product Testing business servicing the automotive, aerospace and other industrial sectors in the UK and mainland Europe.
Continually identifying opportunities for revenue growth and driving all necessary actions to realise growth in line with company objectives, this role will also:
- Provide technical leadership and involvement that ensures internal and external customers receive an effective and appropriate service to their need.
- Provide leadership, management and motivation to the Product Testing team that ensures best use of resource and assures continuous team development. Also lead niche manufacturing operation on the same basis.
- Execute the responsibilities of a Leadership Team Member according to lawful and ethical standards.
- Uphold, safeguard and promote the organisation's values and philosophy relating particularly to ethics, integrity and Corporate Social Responsibility.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To plan, develop and implement strategy for operational management and development to meet agreed organisational performance plans within agreed budgets and timescales.
- Continually identify areas for business development and opportunity with existing and potential / target clients. Deliver testing services wins.
- Apply technical and organisational skills that ensure an effective service that fully meets the needs of external and internal customers.
- Provide technical skills and leadership in the development of the service quality management system that meets the needs of the clients.
- Actively participate in the planning and execution of marketing and sales activities that drive growth for the business unit.
- Establish and maintain appropriate systems for measuring necessary aspects of operational management and development.
- Monitor, measure and report on operational issues, opportunities and development plans and achievements within agreed formats and timescales.
- Manage and control departmental expenditure within agreed budgets.
- Provide leadership in the recruitment of staff and in the planning and implementation of training and development programmes that assure high scientific standards and staff development.
- Negotiate and manage service agreements and maintenance contracts to ensure the provision of services in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Oversee development of technical solutions, cost schedule and price list.
- Ensure activities meet with and integrate with organisational requirements for quality management, health and safety, legal stipulations, environmental policies and general duty of care.
- Contribute to the annual business plan and the five-year strategic plan.
- Provide monthly and periodic operational and financial metrics on department performance to leadership to include financial results, plans and forecasts.
- Maintain appropriate and effective health and safety arrangements for the organisation in conjunction with the Health and Safety Officer.
- Maintain highest standards of housekeeping particularly with respect to storage of materials, chemicals, solvents and customer samples.
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure own safety and that of others.
- Comply with all health and safety information, instruction and training as it relates to the individual, role and organisation.
- Assist with ensuring that the relevant quality accreditation is maintained through full procedural compliance.
- Liaise with the Quality Unit, as appropriate, to ensure efficient implementation of internal and external audits.
Educated to a relevant degree level, the suitable candidate should have a minimum 10 years' experience of leading a materials or product testing laboratory/business including having problem solving / managerial experience.
You should have a track record of developing commercial work programmes that meet client need and knowledge and experience of Sales as well as having a track record in identifying new areas of operation for growth, implementing new services and delivering sustainable growth against strategic plans.
Knowledge of automotive or aerospace supply chain, services procurement in automotive, selling to Tier 1 or OEMs, as well as sound understanding of industry regulatory environment is preferred. This role will require UK and international travel.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.