A NVH Test Technician is required to assist engineers in conducting technical investigations of current and future product, components, materials and processes a fired engine test cell environment. The role is predominantly focused in the engine Noise Cells within the Europe Research and Development Centre in Peterborough.
Key role objectives
The incumbent is required to install the necessary mechanical hardware in preparation for test in a fired engine test cell environment. This will be assembly of both engine components as well as cell services. The engine will then need to be connected to the dynamometer prior to the procedural checks before firing. The role is responsible for the control of the test bed through the proprietary software for managing the test process and data acquisition, with constant monitoring of engine performance throughout the test.
As part of the role, the incumbent is to liaise with the engineering team to understand the engine configuration, required software files and additional hardware for test. Organisation and coordination of these aspects is key to ensure the planned installation is successful. This will be a requirement for a range of engine types across three engine test cells
The role also encompasses the basic data capture of Noise and Vibration data. The person will be responsible for the arrangement of the measurement transducers, attachment to the engine with the required cable connections to the data acquisition hardware. Verification of data quality begins with the transducer calibrations as well as quality checks whilst measuring data.
Skills and Experience required:
- Mandatory skills in mechanical engineering fundamentals (preferably engines), assembly techniques and mechanical skills, ability to read engineering drawings, knowledge of tolerances, limits and fits.
- Basic understanding and experience of measurement techniques using instrumentation would be advantageous.
- Previous experience of operating a fired engine test cell is not essential but preferred
- Fundamental planning and organisation skills
- Knowledge of instrumentation and transducer
- Running Engines on test beds
- Basic data acquisition - getting all components and the engine ready for tes
- Experience loading an engine on a test cell - driven off a controls system