Mechanical Design Manager
£35,000 - £40,000 p/a
- We are currently looking for an Mechanical Design Engineer to join our client's business.
- The central purpose of the role is to ensure that Mechanical Design activities are carried out competently by the team and align with the company's business plan and strategic direction.
- This involves the control and supervision of Mechanical Design operations, including procurement, scheduling and performance of Mechanical Design services on customer sites or at company's premises to the required standard and customer specification.
- Defining and producing 2D and 3D mechanical drawings through to full manufacturing models with 3D CAD Design Software, producing details of specifications and outlining designs for production purposes to the required customer specification
- Contribute to the growth and success of the business by overseeing the management, planning and organisation of the mechanical design team activities to support the company's business plan.
- Discussing and solving technical design issues and queries with production departments, suppliers and customers
- Ensuring all technical documentation and information produced is filed and maintained correctly in accordance with company procedures and processes.
- Management of mechanical design staff through recruiting, selecting and training new staff; carrying out regular performance reviews to include personal development plans and personal improvement plans.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Demonstrate a willingness to perform other tasks outside of main objectives or direct responsibilities
- Support change management activities within the organisation, adapting well to new challenges in any area of the workplace
- Produce accurate written documentation for internal and external business purposes, with relevant and precise information
- Create internal and external correspondence that are appropriate in frequency, tone and content to the recipient
- File and store written documentation correctly, in line with Company procedures
- Communicate accurate information to appropriate person or department in a timely manner
- Engage in discussions and offers suggestions and solutions to improve business processes
- Proactively approach staff to clarify information and resolve issues
- Collaborate with other departments and teams, including other companies within the group where necessary and sharing knowledge to support business activities
- Providing accurate information to relevant departments in order to work effectively to meet deadlines.
- Recruitment, training and management of team including regular performance appraisal management, training needs analysis and personal development plans for team members
- Delegate appropriate tasks and responsibilities with subsequent follow-up activity ensuring each member of staff under your control is performing to the best of their ability and the level required for their role
- Engage in annual performance appraisals, performance reviews and personal improvement or development plans in line with business objectives
- Undertake any reasonable requests for training, either internally or externally, in order to improve performance and capabilities
- Prepare for weekly and monthly management meetings as appropriate within the agreed reporting structure and timetable, and ensure efficient collaboration and co-ordination between relevant departments
- Organise own time and the team's time (information, tools, materials, suppliers, customers etc.) to complete tasks to the required standard, schedule and budget, ensuring that deadlines are met.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with new and existing customers, providing high quality support and assistance
- Communicate in a timely and professional manner, through written or verbal communications (to include correct grammar, punctuation, language, tone and content where applicable)
- Providing accurate information to customers through the production of instruction manuals, procedures and technical documentation as required
- Providing technical support to customers and understand the nature of the enquiry, informing the appropriate department where further action is required
- Implementation and maintenance of quality systems and continuous improvement within department. Production of procedures, instruction manuals and technical documentation
- Ensure the team complies with company's policies and procedures, including health and safety, personal protective equipment,
- Adopt safe working practices within your team in line with current company procedures and to understand appropriate training in Health and Safety
- Ensuring maintenance of tools, using equipment safely and correctly, and working areas are kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Reporting any faulty equipment or tools to the General Manager.
- Reporting any accidents or injuries to the company first aid representative and following accident reporting procedures.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Interpreting customer specifications
- Ability to define and produce mechanical designs through to full manufacturing models and drawings using 3D CAD software
- Knowledge of mechanical and hydraulic circuits, components and assembly
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong focus on Customer Service & degree of flexibility
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Strong Numeracy & IT skills, with good knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook packages
- Logical thinking
- Works well under pressure and part of a team
- Work effectively at all levels internally and externally
- Organising and Problem solving