The role will lead a number of research projects with a view to developing materials technologies which will enable the Design Studio future requirements. This role will contribute to the development of new technologies and features up to "Concept Ready" where it is then handed over to the mainstream Engineering functions.
The Research function focus on 5 key research themes, termed pillars; Smart, Connected, Capable, Clean and Desirable. Typical research areas are: Autonomous Vehicles, Human Machine Interface, Machine Learning, V2X, Digital Experiences, Intelligent Mobility, Materials and Smart Surfaces, Vehicle Structures, Batteries and electrification. This role will involve collaborative research with key leading UK universities and external partners. The Research department uses a robust technology delivery system called `Technology Creation Development System and is applied to most of the programme technology delivery projects. Milestone projects are often used for University Research, Blue Sky Research and feasibility studies including proof of technical concept studies.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Delivery of materials technology research projects to ensure robust processes are achieved on time and to Engineering Specification.
- Develop implementation/activity plans for all research technologies to ensure robust processes are achieved on time and to Engineering Specification.
- Work with cross functional and operational teams to ensure objectives and activity plans are captured in the overall project plans.
- Develop early demonstrations prior to final Proof-of-Concept stage.
- Assist in the development of Proof-of-Concept technologies with support from key suppliers.
- Work on the identification of the project roadmaps and work on assigned strategic University Research.
- Provide technical support on projects when handing over to mainstream engineering.
Previous experience in a Research role in engineering or automotive environment
- Ability to resolve key technical issues within a team environment
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Experience of program or project management, meeting demanding timescales with budget control and cost effective delivery
- Experience of Technology Creation Development System or equivalent research delivery process
- Previous experience of working with Universities and Research partners
- Knowledge and experience in the textiles, natural materials and polymers industry
- Ability to write reports and the ability to communicate to technical and non-technical audience
- The role will require regular inter-site travel, therefore it is expected that candidates will hold a valid UK Drivers licence
- Ideally educated to a degree level