£28.05 - 28.05 per hour
Materials Design and Test Principal Engineer (410)
PAYE £28.05 per hour (Inside IR35)
12 months assignment
Deliverables / KPIs / SLAs
- Judge material performance against specification requirements and prepare approval report in the 'Development Report' system.
- Conduct root cause analysis, coordinate testing and generate report for material / component concern investigations in the 'Materials Analysis Request' system.
- Report progress and delivery of cost reduction ideas in the 'Cost Data Warehouse' system. Register new ideas for evaluation in the 'Innovation Bank' system.
- Generate summary reports for NTC Japan R&T Job Request in the 'Development Report' system.
- Prepare Technical Files to support supplier RFQ and sourcing activities.
- Technical subject matter expert for adhesives, sealants and adhesive tapes.
- Manage development of materials with global suppliers to satisfy company standards, manufacturing plant process requirements and project Quality, Cost and Delivery objectives.
- Lead design reviews to identify potential risks of introducing material changes and develop validation test plans.
- Project manage material testing, plant trials and overall approval activity with global suppliers and Nissan manufacturing plants (UK, Russia, South Africa) for new vehicle programmes.
- Support validation of supplier Process & Facility Change Request (PFCR). Undertake audits of production process and quality assurance procedures with on-site checks at supplier manufacturing facilities.
- Prepare RFQ Technical Files and coordinate testing and Nissan manufacturing plant validation trials for supplier / product changes proposed by the Purchasing department.
- Undertake and coordinate material and component investigation for concerns experienced during development, manufacturing, assembly or in the market.
- Support component design engineers with material selection and assist in defining required performance validation test programme.
- Deliver cost reduction by identifying and promoting the use of alternative materials or production processes for in-house manufacturing plants and bought out component parts.
- Undertake competitor benchmarking and material trend analysis.
- Prepare CAPEX business plan justification and specification tender requirements for the purchase of laboratory test equipment.
Qualifications, Skills and Training Requirements
- University-level degree (or equivalent) qualification in materials or engineering discipline, or relevant industry experience.
- Ideally have experience working for an OEM or supplier in a design & development or manufacturing engineering role.
- Knowledge on selecting and validating performance of adhesives, sealants, adhesive tapes and material joining methods in general.
- Prior experience conducting and coordinating material laboratory tests according to company internal procedures or international standards, showing an effectiveness with data capture and reporting.
- Methodical approach to technical problem solving and root cause investigation, with ability to proactively propose countermeasure solutions.
- Able to work under pressure with minimal supervision and prioritise needs on multiple projects, while maintaining timely completion of defined tasks to deadlines.
- Strong communication / presentation skills and effective interpersonal skills (collaborative, team player).
- Able to work independently while being an integral part of a product development team.
There is an assumption that the candidate will have the following:
- Communication language - English (Fluent)
- Working knowledge and competent in using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Valid UK / EU driving license
- Able to travel on business trips outside UK for a period of several days.
To apply for this role please send your CV to email@example.com
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Contracts are those of an Employment Business.