Materials Characterisation Engineer - 37096
Salary £35,000 - £45.000
Location: South West, Wiltshire
Posted Date: 12.04.18
Expiry Date: 12.05.18
A blue-chip product development company is seeking a Materials Characterisation Engineer to work as part of a technical research team designing state of the art products for the global market.
The Materials Characterisation Engineer will work within the energy storage research team and will be focussed on working towards innovative materials development and characterisation techniques within target specifications.
• Contribute to lab synthesis and pilot scale production of innovative battery materials. Push research towards target specifications such as energy density and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project that would contribute to improving product performance.
• Demonstrate hands-on experience in chemical reactions and process equipment used in lab and pilot production scales.
• Apply your knowledge to the synthesis of new materials with targeted compositions and quality. Design routes for material synthesis, including composites and electrochemically active materials.
• Manage collected data and decant key figures of merit.
• Analyse the structural and material properties, and report on their effectiveness as next generation electrochemical device.
• Address and overcome potential scale up issues involved with the development of new materials.
You will need:
Education and experience:
• MSc/MChem degree (2:1 degree or better) in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or equivalent with a demonstrable level of experience in a related field.
• PhD including materials synthesis and characterisation, including electrochemistry.
• Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
• Experience and knowledge in synthesis and materials chemistry. Hands-on experience with different synthetic and processing routes of inorganic materials.
• Must have experience with battery material characterisation techniques such DSC, TGA, XRD, SEM, IR, Raman spectroscopy
• Ability to design, carry out chemical reactions and materials processing for further optimisation.
• Safely handle materials and good laboratory practice in compliance with corporate and chemical hygiene policies, including health and safety, COSHH and risk assessments
• Deep understanding of material structure-property relationships and able to use a variety of techniques to characterise structure and materials properties.
• Expert knowledge in diffraction and quantitative analysis of structural materials. Use of electrochemical characterisation methods for performance evaluation.
• Contribute to the development of innovative materials and optimal composition for use in electrochemical devices.
• Familiar with discovery and process development of new materials for performance verification and evaluation
• Ability to establish material quality standards including process and quality control
• Conduct benchmark studies, organise sample, statistical and data analyses to guide materials development.
• Provide regular updates on progress through presentations and progress reports
• Experience with material processing, reaction kinetics and characterisation tools
• Experience with industrial R&D including scale-up and quality control.
• Experience in electrochemical test techniques would be advantageous. e.g EIS, CV, CA, PITT/GITT.
• Experienced in the use of Maccor test equipment
In order to increase your chances of being shortlisted please ensure you submit a supporting statement in addition to your CV clearly addressing how you meet the essential and desirable criteria as outlined above, plus details of your current and required package.