A Lead Design Engineer is required to join the Engineering Team within a market leading Innovative Technology Company that specialise in complex electronics for safety critical environments.
The successful Lead Design Engineer will Lead and support projects from initial enquiry conducting design, development and prototyping of complex electro-mechanical systems for specialised precision engineering applications and will work in line with all applicable legislation and company directives.
The Lead Design Engineer will support the Production and Sales teams as products progress through all stages of the development and production process life-cycle.
Lead Design Engineer - Key Responsibilities
- To provide the external/internal customers with a reliable technical point of contact.
- Generate innovative product design solutions to comply with budgetary targets.
- Manage projects simultaneously throughout all stages of the engineering lifecycle
- Create, manage and publish design/project documentation & BOM's
- Produce professional project and test reports and Produce project time plans
- Provide project & design leadership to projects being conducted by Design Engineers.
- Prepare concept designs, product costings and technical response documents.
- Support Sales with bid activities and proposals to customers.
- Develop design specifications in line with NPI's and customer requirements.
- Liaise with suppliers and customers, negotiate costs and materials.
- Establish lead times and maintain quality standards.
- Carry out Continuous Improvement activities within the business
Technical Skills and Experience required for the Lead Design Engineer
- Degree qualified, preferably 2:1 or higher, in relevant engineering or design discipline.
- Experience designing using 3D and 2D CAD tools, Solidworks & AutoCAD.
- Strong understanding of modern design practices and manufacturing processes.
- Experience in working in a regulated industry and handling sensitive info up to UK Secret.
- Effective communication skills and understanding of quality standards and systems.
- Be concise and commercially aware and make key decisions to ensure deadlines are met.
- Knowledge and understanding of UK & US Military EMC and Environmental Test Standards
- Occasional Travel to Customers may be required
**Security Clearance will be required for this role due to the sensitive nature of the products and therefore only applications from candidates able to obtain this will be considered**