- Determines and drives the most appropriate design and engineering solution for
- system/ module. Ensuring that all product /APQP requirements are covered.
- Controls the engineering design activity assuring most appropriate application of
- both direct and contract design resources towards clients internal & customer
- requirements, quality, time, feasibility and cost effective product design outcome.
- Liaises with the tooling specialists to ensure that the product design is
- tooling/plant robust for the vehicle life.
- Assures active participation of his engineering teams in the Product Development Team process.
- Engineering budget for his product scope
- Product cost
- Product timing
- Product quality
- See RASIC in GDLS
- Comply with general IAC policies and procedures
Scope of role:
- Supervise design and product engineering.
- Customer/Supplier/Manufacturing plant liaison.
- Ensures that his engineering team drive the following activities:
- Design according customer styling, technical requirements and specifications.
- Design for assembly.
- Design for manufacture.
- Quality functional deployment.
- Finite element analysis data.
- Dimensional variation analysis (In conjunction with DVA specialist).
- Support Tool Timing in conjunction with the tooling group.
- Responsible for the engineering elements of customer part approval (PPAP).
- Support all tool trials & tool sign off
Scope of role (continued):
- Ensuring together with development team (PM, design, tooling, quality, testing, launch, purchasing, sales)
- that the process is robust prior to tool shipment.
- Determine and apply the most appropriate and cost effective solutions.
- Provide for design resolution as an extension of and in cooperation with the customer engineering team.
- For model year changes, the Lead Engineer shall support the customer in terms of product development and participate in the plant PDT meetings to ensure that the "Key Elements" of the APQP gate process are completed
- Support cost estimates in relation to product and process changes, and liaise with Operations, sales, PM to ensure all recoverable costs are specified in the quotation.
- Customer liaison & management
- Support VAVE activities
- Support Program RFQ's
Preferred Education & Experiences to fulfill role (essential & desirable)
- Bachelor and/or Diploma degree in automotive, plastics engineering, mechanical engineering or equivalent job related experience
- Cradle to grave project experience including process and tool maturation and program launch.
- Experience in surface development desirable.
- Conversant with major CAD systems applicable to automotive design.
- Demonstrated excellent management and interpersonal skills.
- In-depth knowledge of company product and manufacturing processes.
- Working knowledge of job-related technical skills: GD&T, DFM, DFA, CAE/FEA, CAD, FMEA, DVP&R.