- Sector: Electronics & Embedded
- Function: Product design and development
- Contact: Dean Liszewski
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: 07947 344040
- Duration: Perm
- Start Date: 01 / 06 / 2022
- Expiry Date: 31 May 2022
- Job Ref: 60328
Jonathan Lee Recruitment requires a Lead Embedded Software Engineer to join a leading defence company based in Edinburgh in a hybrid working environment.
Modern warfare is all about speed, security and reliability of communication - in a challenging environment. As such, our customers rely on not only our products, but also our expertise, to deliver what they need. Our networking products and experience are key to our business - and to our customers' success.
Our Networking Innovation Centre team, based in Edinburgh, is responsible for all aspects of development, implementation, test, release and ongoing maintenance of our robust, comprehensive and powerful OpenWare software, which provides the switch management functionality for all our Systems NETernity switch products. OpenWare is wholly developed, supported and released from our Edinburgh Networking Innovation Centre.
We are a AS9100 Rev D company and a set of defined processes allows us to meet these requirements.
We are seeking an experienced Software Manager, to be based in Edinburgh, to lead our focused team of professional and highly experienced software engineers, developing and supporting OpenWare. The team is responsible for the whole software development lifecycle, from initial requirements gathering and analysis, through to product delivery.
The successful candidate will provide oversight of ongoing projects and interface with Product Management, Sales, and our customers to provide a clear strategy and roadmap. He/she will foster a culture of continuous improvement within the team and drive the development of new talented engineers joining the team.
A background in embedded software development and networking technologies is desirable.
In addition to fulfilling the job requirements, the ideal candidate will be capable of inspiring the team and taking it to the next level.
- Reporting to the Director of Software Design and Test, manage and resource the software team to enable it to fulfil the OpenWare deliveries - additional platform support, features and bug fixes.
- Interface with Product Management and Sales. Ensure that realistic plans are created for products and projects, and progress is tracked.
- Be the voice of the Networking Innovation Centre within out company.
- Foster and expand opportunities to collaborate with other software groups, utilising our Systems to drive a common approach and practices where applicable.
- Creation and maintenance of the software release roadmap ensuring that customer requirements are addressed, and OpenWare is ported to new platforms.
- Regular interactions with key customers - facilitating technical exchanges, information sessions, pre-sales support to clarify requirements to customise OpenWare.
- Collaborate with hardware engineers and manufacturing resources based in UK and US.
- Define Goal and Objectives, drive an overall vision for the Networking Team, aligned with our companies top level priorities.
- Identify and drive the implementation of best practices and process improvements - Agile, CI/CT, Security improvements, tool usage.
- Responsible for Quality Management System and AS9100 Rev D certification for the Edinburgh Site.
- Line management of engineers - reviews, appraisals, coaching and regular 121s - ensuring that engineers have clear goals which are regularly reviewed, identify training needs to support career progression within Engineering.
- Site lead for the Edinburgh site - budget responsibility, office management.
Qualifications and requirements
- Degree in Electronics, Computer Science or related subject
- Good level of understanding of embedded software development
- Good level of understanding of networking technologies desired
- An understanding of switch hardware is desirable
- Proven track record of managing projects, maintaining plans and budgets
- Experience in coaching Agile methodologies desired
- Appreciation of the value of Continuous Integration and Continuous Test
- Demonstrable focus on coaching, mentoring and young talent development
- Experience in working through whole software development lifecycle
- Understanding of configuration management practices and tools
- Outstanding communication and customer facing skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, creative and solution-building skills
- Displays curiosity and ability to analyse and drive improvements to processes and workflows
- Ability to travel to the Towcester site on a regular basis and overseas as required
If this is of interest please send me your latest CV and mobile number. My contact details are - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: 07947 344040
We also have a £300 referral reward scheme for successfully placed engineers. Please send me any colleagues or friends who you think might be suitable.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.