HV Battery Engineer
Our client who design and manufacture complex high technology mechatronic products and systems for the automotive/motorsport industry are looking for an experienced HV Battery Engineer who can come on board and provides indepth technical knowledge and guidance of vehicle HV battery (PHEV/BEV) systems across diverse vehicle projects.
You will support and ensure achievement of business objectives and technical development, delivering on time and within budget and take responsibility for the development and maintenance of the HV battery components to support development from concept to
Part of the role will be to investigate HV battery (and components) related issues, both in the vehicle development cycle and also in the field.
The main scope of the role will be development of the HV battery to support vehicle validation including the vehicle interface and interaction.
- Responsible for management of components and system suppliers;
- Formulate and maintain robust component/system delivery plans;
- Conduct system FMEA's where applicable or review of such documentation;
- Support pre-production vehicle builds and feedback learning into the design process;
- Plan and execute all related component releases for production;
- Plan and execute component validation activities through simulation, laboratory experiments and on-vehicle tests in various environments world wide;
- Manage component change, including feasibility, cost and timing evaluations;
- Investigate in-field issues, identification of root causes and introduction of remedial actions;
- Expedite Engineering Sign-Off (ESO) for all components;
- Follow company Product Development Processes;
- Complete required technical documentation including specification and test reports;
- Undertake EV components, system and vehicle development and problem-solving within tight timescales;
- Required to work within the boundaries of ISO26262 (with support);
- Responsible for the collation and presentation of relevant data inorder to support functional /cross-functional meetings.
- Develop relationships with counterparts in appropriate internal functions and VW organisations, and provide relevant guidance to suppliers.
- Degree-qualified in either Electronic or Electrical Engineering, Automotive or Systems;
- Proven experience in a similar role, working on HV vehicles (although onsite training will need to be completed);
- Understanding of vehicle HV battery technology including techniques used in the construction and limitations of assembly;
- An understanding of battery thermal, electrical & mechanical design limitations to be considered and functions within the battery SW to deal with this limitations;
- Understanding of cell monitoring and battery management system control
- Has an appreciation of the interaction of other vehicle systems on the battery e.g. HVAC, crash safety.
- Awareness of recyclability and ELV requirements with regards to HV batteries
- Ideally aware of UN Transport certification requirements which may need to be met;
- Understanding of the following specifications: ECE - R100, FMVSS305, ISO6469, ISO12405;
- Hands on experience of developing control algorithms for EV/HEV automotive applications, including electric motor controls;
- Knowledge or familiarity of, Software C-code, MATLAB, Simulink, Dspace, CAN and flexray communication protocols and toolchain;
- Experience of process from launch to production;
- Dynamic and proactive self-starter able to work with minimum of supervision;
- Flexible (able to work extra hours and to travel abroad as and when required);
- Strong influencing skills and communication, with a commitment to building positive relationships with other functions, and Group as an outward facing expert
- Working with high voltage systems;
- Good organisational skills
- Commercial awareness, ability to identify the bigger picture.
- Good test and analysis skills;
- Good written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency in German language would be an advantage;
- A team player with the additional ability to work alone unsupervised;
- Highly-motivated and capable of working on concurrent activities.