Engineer - HiL System Technical Expert - (Job Number: 1700095X)
Job Title: HiL System Technical Expert
Salary: £48,000 - £55,000 (depending on depth of experience)
Benefits: 25 days annual leave, excellent bonus, car cash allowance, childcare vouchers, contributory pension scheme, contributory share scheme
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
World's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
Within ACSD Advanced Technologies & Solutions is responsible for electronic and electrical systems development across all engine and machine platforms. Based in Peterborough, the European Division of ACSD Advanced Technologies & Solutions works with all European facilities to develop and apply advanced technology to the control of our highly integrated engines and machines. With unrivalled levels of vertical integration within the industry, our electronic systems help to maximise the customer value and efficiency of end products, whilst minimising owning and operating costs.
The successful applicant for this position will join the European Engine Controls and Software team and will provide HiL system technical expertise to the team responsible for the verification of all aspects of all core engine software releases created by the team for IPSD Small and Medium diesel engines. This will encompass all programmes, including current product, Compact, 400J and 1200J.
These programmes offer the opportunity to work on cutting edge software test technology, helping to achieve the team's goal of a world class approach to software verification leading to unrivalled levels of engine software quality. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to support engine programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
What's the role?
- Establishing and maintaining in-depth technical knowledge of dSPACE hardware in the loop test systems (including Scalexio, mid-range and full-size simulators), including their setup and configuration.
2. Establishing and maintaining in-depth technical knowledge of dSPACE software tools including (but not limited to) Control Desk, Automation Desk and Configuration Desk.
3. Development and commissioning of new dSPACE test systems, including the establishment of standards for I/O connection, generation of I/O models and the development of FIU (failure insertion unit) functionality
4. Maintenance of existing dSPACE test systems, updating software, I/O models, plant models and FIU as necessary to keep pace with updates.
5. Maintaining commonality across all deployed HiL systems.
6. Working with HiL Test Lead Engineer and Engineering Manager to help establish and deploy a strategy for HiL test equipment for current and future product development programmes.
Through this role, the successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to develop and maintain start of the art test equipment to support the UK core engine team in achieving its vision of a world class approach to software verification.
Key competencies for the role:
- Team leadership
- Customer focus
- Initiating action
- Good problem-solving and analysis skills
- High work standards
- Good planning and organisational skills
Skills, experience and qualifications you will have:
- Strong technical background - ideally a good technical degree in mechanical, electronic, electrical, control systems or automotive engineering - though consideration will be given to other qualifications or significant relevant experience in lieu of this.
- Significant, demonstrable experience of developing and commissioning HiL test systems, ideally dSPACE. This is likely to have been obtained through a similar role in the off-highway or automotive industries, or in the off-highway or automotive supply chain.
- Significant, demonstrable experience of the software tools typically used in developing and using HiL simulators, such as Matlab, Simulink, Control Desk, Automation Desk and Configuration Desk.
- Prior experience in engine control system development and / or verification testing (preferably in the off-highway or marine industry)
- Good understanding of diesel engine technology, including common rail fuel systems and aftertreament.
- Strong team player
- Excellent communications skills
- Strong customer focus
This is a technical specialist role which will allow the successful candidate to develop, maintain and deploy significant expertise in the area of HiL system development. It can be considered an excellent step on a technically-focused career path.
Skills, experience and qualifications you may have:
- Detailed knowledge of engine control system architecture.
- Experience of electronic system development tools such as CANape, CANalyser and a working knowledge of J1939 datalink standards
- Experience of writing technical documents / requirements / test plans
- Leadership skills
- Innovative approach
- Strong interest in engine control system development, particularly for off-highway, marine and military applications