Wolverhampton, West Midlands
almost 2 years ago
Job Title: Health and Safety Manager
Location: Based in Wolverhampton (Travel in West Midlands to other sites)
Permanent Salary: Negotiable Dependant on Experience
- We are currently recruiting for an experienced Health and Safety Manager to work for our client at their site in Wolverhampton, with travel to their two other sites within the West Midlands and Staffordshire.
- The role will report to the companies GM and Financial Controller.
Purpose of Job:
- The role of lead competent Health & Safety practitioner is to act as the appointed person under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (1999) to provide advice and assistance to the company in meeting their Health and Safety responsibilities.
- The role is to ensure the organisation complies with all current Health & Safety legal requirements at all times and advise and make recommendation according to the legal regulations, best practice, guidance, industrial standards and ACOP.
- To work proactively at all levels within the organisation to establish and maintain a system of the highest Health & Safety standards that promote a culture of safe working practices, and preventative safety measures.
- To ensure the company's Health and Safety Policy and procedures are implemented and adhered to across the organisation.
- In conjunction with the senior management team, develop a short, medium and long term Health & Safety improvement plan and programme and manage the implementation of these initiatives across the business.
- To keep abreast of Health & Safety legislation and ensure the senior management team and all managers are appropriately advised on changes to legislative requirements.
- To monitor and review, through inspections, audits and safety tours the effectiveness of the Health and Safety management system and make recommendations to improve safety procedures and work practices when required.
- Ensure all statutory inspections required are completed and records are accurate and up to date.
- To ensure accident investigations are carried out to the required standard and within a suitable time frame, producing supporting documentation and implementing proactively, corrective action plans, including recommendation of possible disciplinary action.
- Prepare regular reports on Health and Safety for the senior management team and liaise with relevant authorities as necessary.
- To assist in the identification of training needs for employees and develop and deliver training as required, including risk assessments and safe systems of work.
- To own, manage and champion the Company Safety Rules and Near Miss Reporting Health & Safety initiatives ensuring, review, audit, feedback and closure, including agreed actions.
- Lead and motivate Health & Safety representatives to guarantee involvement and commitment to a positive Health & Safety culture.
- Manage and provide technical advice and report on Health & Safety initiatives at minimum quarterly Health & Safety meetings at each location.
- Monitor, manage and report on the services provided by contractors in line with the Company Health & Safety safe working practices and Safety Rules.
- Carry out regular programmed internal audits and facilitate external certification audits.
- Report any notifiable breaches of Health and Safety to the HSE and senior management team.
- To initiate and manage process for applying for and maintaining recognised Health & Safety Awards, i.e. RoSPA Gold.
- To manage the production of Risk Assessments, Method Statements, COSHH and Safe Systems of Work.
- The above duties are not exhaustive. The jobholder will also be required to carry out other ad hoc duties that are necessary.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Minimum 5 years' experience.
- A chartered member of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH).
- A relevant professional qualification e.g. NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent degree.
- A good working knowledge of the CDM2015 Regulations.
- Experience of Construction or Energy or Waste environment sectors is desirable.
- Experience of Environmental and Quality Management systems an advantage.
- Extensive knowledge of effective health and safety management strategies and best practice.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills and the ability to challenge constructively.
- Good analytical and numerical skills.
- Good Microsoft skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at all levels.
- Effective team working and networking skills and the ability to work independently using own initiative.
- The ability to plan, prioritise and organise own workload.
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like more information please contact Lee Elwell on 01384 446 154 (Direct Line) or your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Contracts are those of an Employment Business.