£32k per year
Job Title: Health & Safety Advisor
Salary: £32,000 p/a
We are currently recruiting for a Health and Safety Advisor to work for our client at their site in Wolverhampton, the role will be to support the business with its legal obligations as well as the continual improvements with regard to health and safety.
Reporting to the H&S Manager, the role will also be to ensure conformance and providing input and output for the business integrated management systems (IMS).
- Ensuring the Company’s Health and Safety policy is fully implemented and conformed to across Company sites at all times. This will include following the requirements stipulated by the integrated management system certified to OHSAS 18001:2007 (soon to be ISO 45001:2018)
- Support the identification of hazards in order to eliminate /control them.
- Support Health and Safety culture ‘change management’ and assist in the development of initiatives that enable continual improvement.
- Monitor Health and Safety compliance via site inspections and if requested support internal as well as external audits when they are carried out.
- If/when required prepare and present health and safety reports for upper management, including statistical/performance data and actions.
- If/when required assist the Health and Safety Manager in dealing with enforcement agencies, (HSE, Local Authority, etc)
- Periodically sample statutory inspections such as ‘thorough examination’ of retained information to ensure legal compliance is being achieved as well as ensuring actions are carried out where applicable.
- Ensure accident and incident investigations are carried out to the required standard and within a suitable period, producing or collating supporting documentation and implementing proactively, corrective action plans, including recommendations.
- Work towards supporting training delivery as/when required. Complete toolbox talks and briefings as required with regards to Health and Safety.
- Support the completion of COSHH, (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) risk assessments following receipt of relevant Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Attend and participate in regular Health and Safety forums and review meetings when necessary.
- Monitor, advise and report on the services provided by contractors in line with the business integrated management system requirements and safe working practices. Evaluation of third
party (contractor) risk assessments, method statements etc. when required as well as evaluation of documentation requiring sign off by the Health and Safety Manager.
- Escalate to the Health and Safety Manager actual or foreseeable notifiable breaches
- Advise on health and safety requirements when necessary in relation to any updated, or changed methods or physical implemented changes within the business. Challenge and escalate where such requirements are not met.
- Participate in the process for applying for maintaining recognised Health & Safety awards, i.e. RoSPA Royal Society of Prevention of Accidents.
- Participate in all training and awareness with diligence and seriousness.
- Participate in delivering visitor/contractor inductions when necessary
- Keep abreast of changes in legislation and how they may impact on the business, and assist with updating policies and procedures as required to reflect such changes.
- Use the Business Safety System T100 (Awareness Software) with diligence and engagement.
- Supporting in the development and implementation of internal risk assessments, method statements when required.
- Engage in other ad-hoc duties within the remit of HSEQ if/when required.
Qualifications & Capabilities:
- A full UK Driving Licence with own vehicle and willingness to travel with it being a regular part of the job. This may include some overnight travel, however prior reasonable notice would be given.
- Good knowledge and recent experience in applying the requirements of Health and Safety legislation in a multi-site capacity.
- Recent experience working in the construction, civil engineering, or power sector, including basic knowledge of Construction, Design, and Management (CDM) Regulations 2015.
- A relevant professional qualification e.g. NEBOSH General or Construction Certificate, NVQ (Level 3 minimum) or equivalent
- Self-motivated – in providing an effective service while working within set deadlines and reporting frameworks.
- Strong minded - able to work under pressure and prioritise tasks in accordance to legislative and business needs.
- Good judgement and resilient in being able to influence when dispersing tough advice, particularly at senior level when necessary.
- Competent - ability to demonstrate excellent Health and Safety and ability to challenge constructively unsafe behaviours or attitudes.
- Proactively able to deputise in the absence of the Health and Safety Manager, which includes engaging with internal stakeholders and external professional bodies if/when needed.
- Fitness levels allowing the jobholder to access areas of site from height and in confined spaces, restricted entry spaces if/ when required.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work as part of a team and independently using own initiative and with minimal supervision.
- Competent with using IT, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience of working with OHSAS 18001:2007 if not ISO 45001:2018
- Holds Technical Membership status of Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or equivalent such as IIRSM International Institute of Risk and Safety Management.
- A current First Aid qualification ideal.
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like more information please contact Lee Elwell on 01384 446 154 (Direct Line) or your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Contracts are those of an Employment Business.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.