Automotive Fastener Engineer - R00017803
A Fastener Engineer is required with practical experience with fastener selection, fastener design, joint analysis, fastener/joint testing incorporating both design and manufacturing requirements.
The Fastener Engineer is responsible for design and optimisation of every mechanical fastener used by in support of vehicle development programs.
Throughout the development cycle of new vehicles or during lifecycle, the Fastener engineer will work closely with the rest of the design teams in Chassis, Body, Powertrain, Trim, and Electrical to ensure that the selection and application of the fastener is suitable and performing to the final use.
Also, interface with other test teams and manufacturing (process and quality) is critical to ensure expected performance.
The fastener engineer will also be responsible for the engineering activities related to the component budget setting and cost monitoring during the development, in conjunction with the commodity buyer.
In addition to the above, the fastener engineer will also need to coordinate dedicated manpower resources responsible for the implementation and continuous delivery to the numerous assembly sites, this will include regular status reporting to upper management.
The Fastener Engineer will also be responsible for:
- Design fasteners and release them into the database
- Develop, write and publish fastener design and installation specifications
- Perform CAD operation in NX Teamcenter
- Provide consultation to design engineering on proper fastener selection considering assembly performance requirements, corrosion, and manufacturing
- Establish test requirements necessary to validate fasteners and specific joints
- Perform detailed analysis of fastened joints (e.g. torque vs. clamp load)
- Report to upper management progress of optimisation activities
- Coordination of additional resources for lifecycle optimisation activities
- Participate in the sourcing process and interface with the supply chain team and suppliers as required
- Interface with other R&D functions (including global HQ), plants and Suppliers
The Fastener Engineer should have the following skills or experience:
- Mechanical or Materials Engineering degree or equivalent required
- Practical experience with fastener selection, fastener design, joint analysis, fastener/joint testing incorporating both design and manufacturing requirements
- Experience of working on multiple projects, and ability to prioritise own workload
- Ability to act on own initiative, work to deadlines, and keep commitments
- Experienced team player, with ability to motivate and guide colleagues toward timely delivery against objectives
- Ability to develop excellent working relationships and effective communication with colleagues in the global organisation and supplier network
If you have any questions about the Fastener Engineer role or would like to apply, please contact Tina Field at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01268 889259
Unfortunately candidates requiring visa sponsorship CANNOT be considered for this role. To apply you MUST have either an EU/UK passport or a Visa that does not require sponsorship