- Sector: Advanced Technology
- Function: Powertrain
- Contact: Jon Blaze
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: 01384 446184
- Expiry Date: 17 December 2021
- Job Ref: 59806
My client is a West Midlands based start-up business with significant financial backing who are developing and launching a game-changing product within the marine powertrain sector. The business has grown steadily in the last 2 years and are preparing for start of production in mid-2022. Beyond this initial product launch the company has ambitions to develop alternative, green power derivatives to which the Engineering Director will make a strategic and essential contribution.
The Engineering Director role is a technical one with input to the company strategy from an engineering perspective. You will be responsible for activities such as setting goals for the team, hiring engineers for the organisation, and managing engineering projects. You will be involved with developing current and new products for the organisation to ensure a reliable and profitable product.
As a key member of the leadership team, reporting to the CEO, you will be expected to provide all engineering solutions by being responsible in the development, ownership and delivery of the engineering strategy and tactical plans within the organisation in areas such as design, testing, product servicing and maintenance.
- Reporting to the CEO you will be responsible for the leadership of Test & Development as well as design (Test & Development Manager & Design Engineering Manager as direct reports)
- Design & Implementation of robust engineering, design & test processes to ensure project success
- Lead technical design reviews
- Lead Test & Development teams to ensure all tests are carried out and results are fully reviewed with the appropriate team members to confirm that the product is meeting the specified Functional Requirements
- Work in partnership with the Manufacturing Director to lead the development of the End of Line testing facility
- Work in partnership with engineering partners to prepare the company for independence in future testing
- Organisational design & implementation to ensure project success
- Engineering & technology strategy ownership:
- Approach, resources, facilities, partnerships etc
- Technology platform strategy – the right developments beyond the initial launch product – other derivatives, electric, hybrid, other fuels etc.
- Relentless focus on successfully delivering the current product to market, fully validated, tested, homologated with functional requirements all confirmed as achieved.
- Lead engineering activities in support of product cost and manufacturability targets – design for cost, weight and manufacturability
- Homologation strategy leadership and delivery
- Process and organisational design to maximise testing and ensure robust closure of all test incident reports to ensure product is fully validated and reliable at launch
- On-water test facility responsibility. Design and implement appropriate test facilities for long term business objectives, internally or in partnership with other companies
- Lead engineering & testing partnership with engineering partners and other organisations as required
- Minimum of 15 years Powertrain development experience; familiarity with marine engines.
- Minimum of 3 years in an Engineering Director / Leadership position.
- Previous OEM and automotive experience preferred. Marine powertrain engineering experience preferred.
- Previous assembly plant launch experience preferred.
- Experience Benchmarking engineering technologies and applying those into the design activities as appropriate.
- Experience with regulatory requirements preferred.
- Demonstrable experience of managing similar development programmes, including proactively managing external supplier resource.
- Proven track record of delivery on similar size programmes
- Ideally has also worked in a Small to Medium Enterprise (SME)
- Integrity is paramount
- Team player, comfortable with supporting, and accepting support from, colleagues
- High energy to drive results with enthusiasm and pace
- Willingness to travel Europe-wide and, when necessary, globally
- Ability to balance ‘hands on’ with longer term vision and processes
- Makes the best decisions for the business, not just within a functional ‘silo’
- Determination to achieve the best possible business results
- Engineering Degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- High level of oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Functional Safety
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.