- Sector: Manufacturing & Materials
- Function: Purchasing and procurement
- Contact: Dan Plimmer
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Phone: 01384 446 174
- Expiry Date: 22 October 2021
- Job Ref: 58817
General Engineering and Manufacturing
Nr Dudley, West Midlands
Salary circa 33,000, 22 days holiday plus bank holiday, Discretionary annual bonus,
Annual Professional CIPS fees paid for
This Black Country based firm is a small engineering company based in the Dudley area. They design and manufacture specialist engineering equipment for the marine industry.
They have asked us to assist in the search and recruitment of an Engineering/Technical Buyer to be responsible for the sourcing, negotiating and procurement of engineering products and services. A background in engineering and purchasing, with a working understanding of technical drawings and technical terminology, is preferable.
This is a role which is refreshingly traditional, you will be responsible for any major spend for the site, dealing with suppliers direct (UK and Europe), negotiating best price, quality, and delivery.
The business uses in-house and excel systems to monitor and order goods, so an appreciation of Excel and MRP systems would be advantageous.
The role is responsible for all elements of the purchasing function:
- Fabrications – steel and aluminium
- Raw materials – steel, aluminium, brass, plastics, castings, SG iron
- Electrical – control gear, inverters, contactors, motors, gearboxes, cabling, glands, switches
- Hydraulics – cylinders, hoses, pressure fittings, manifolds, valves, transducers, pumps, accumulators
- Sundries – steel ropes, fibre ropes, gear cutting, heat treatments, consumables, painters, platers,
Fundamentals of the role:
- Obtain quotations – negotiate and agree delivery dates and prices, raise Po’s, view order acknowledgements, monitor delivery progress, interventions as necessary.
- Internal communications – liaise with all internal departments e.g., QA, design office, production office, finance office, senior managers, stores, shop floor, service engineers
- External communications – develop supplier relationships. Liaise with customers, suppliers, and sub-contractors.
- Data base – purchasing data is set up in Excel spread sheets. A good working knowledge of Excel is important as is meticulous maintenance of all purchasing and delivery databases.
- The business has an ISO 9001 approved QA system which is monitored and audited by an independent 3rd party. The Buyer will be a key component in the QA system. Knowledge and adherence to these types of procedures is important.
This is a great role for a Procurement professional who is looking to get back into a manufacturing and engineering environment and loves dealing with suppliers direct to get the best deal!
CIPS would be desirable, but your experience and procurement enthusiasm are just as important.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.