Birmingham, West Midlands
Up to £46000.00 per annum + Company Benefits
about 2 years ago
Employment Lawyer, Birmingham
Salary: £46,000 p/a + Company Benefits
- We are currently recruiting for an Employment Lawyer to work for our client at their site in South Birmingham, this would suit a solicitor who has specialised in employment law with 2-4 years broad post qualification experience, gained at a national or international law firm or in-house.
- Demonstrating strong verbal and numerical reasoning skills, with evidence of fast decision making and ability to make sound commercial judgements.
- Reporting to Senior Lawyer and Head of Employee Relations who in turn reports into the People Director
- This is an exciting opportunity for an Employment Lawyer to make their mark on a fast-changing business.
- Reporting to the Senior Lawyer and Head of Employee Relations, this new position of Employment Lawyer will be responsible for the conduct of Employment Tribunal claims against the group of companies and delivering sound, pragmatic legal solutions to complex and rapidly changing situations.
- They will work closely together with the small in-house legal team, the HR department and the shared service centre.
- This position requires previous experience of tribunal claims management and willingness to get involved and solve problems, pragmatically and efficiently.
- The ideal candidate would have strong verbal and numerical reasoning skills, be 2-4 years qualified, with a broad range of employment law experience including litigation, gained at national law firms and/ or in-house businesses.
- Experience of conducting their own cases, including advocacy at the Employment Tribunal in unfair dismissal and discrimination claims is essential. They will support developing the profile of the team across the organisation and develop innovative solutions to delivering legal advice within a large employer.
- To take full conduct of tribunal claims against the company, under the supervision of the Senior Lawyer, from submitting ET3 Response, to preparing witness statements, instructing counsel, to negotiating settlements and attending hearings.
- To provide up to date and commercial employment law advice to all divisions of the company. This will include advice in relation to all key areas of employment law (for example, redundancy and reorganisation, NMW, holiday pay, Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE), settlement agreements, employee exits or disputes and changes to terms and conditions);
- To support in the formulation and regular review of HR policies and procedures and assist HR field teams and shared service centre in the delivery of consistent, coordinated employment law advice.
- To support the Senior Lawyer and Head of Employee Relations as needed in the development and maintenance of ER strategy, particularly in the management of claims
- To assist with the development and maintenance of a reliable, and comprehensive employment law precedent bank to enable standard documents to be prepared, adapted and produced as quickly as needed.
- To build and maintain strong relationships within all areas of the company in order to provide timely and commercial employment law support.
- To build and maintain strong relationships with external providers including existing law firms, legal counsel and other in-house legal team members.
- To assist with the development of processes and procedures to ensure that the Employment Legal team operates in the most efficient and organised way possible.
- To work collegiality and assist with the experienced Employment Paralegal and foster collaborative ways of working.
- To draft employment contracts, service agreements and settlement agreements as needed and review and update the same
- To assist with the regular provision of employment law related data (e.g in relation to Tribunals claim numbers, settlements, costs etc) to help identify risk areas or trends.
- To assist the Senior Lawyer and Head of Employee relations in providing guidance in all aspects of employment law and keeping the business up to date with all employment law developments.
- To be alert to significant employment law developments that may impact the company and its many businesses.
- To provide training to managers and the HR teams, as appropriate
- To continue to learn, develop and have a growth mindset - and keep themselves up to date with legal developments.
- Degree level education or equivalent, with strong verbal and numerical reasoning skills
- Professional qualification as a Solicitor
- Track record of expertise in employment law, typically of 2-4 PQE. We will consider applications from candidates outside this range with suitable skills and knowledge
- Experience at a well-recognised national or international law firm or a large in-house legal team
- Demonstrable ability to deal with a demanding volume of case-load, making fast decisions and being commercially aware
- Experience of the full employment tribunal litigation process, including advocacy at Preliminary Hearings
- Strong knowledge of unfair discrimination, discrimination law, TUPE and redundancy
- Demonstrable commercial and pragmatic approach to employment law issues
- Ability to influence and engage senior stakeholders
- High level influencing and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and ability to use own initiative
- Good presentation, negotiating skills, excellent organisation skills