Our client a global engineering company are looking for a Principle Engineer to join the part of their company that are responsible for the integration, design and development of the Exterior Trim, Interior Trim, Closures & Mechanisms and Upper body.
The Principle Engineer role will specifically be involved in Closure & Mechanisms and work across the following:
- Bonnet, doors & tailgate BIW structures
- Release Mechanisms - Locks, latches, door release handles and check straps
- Side glass and window regulators
- Window wipers
- Door, Bonnet & Tailgate Sealing including GRMs
- Fuel filler modules and release mechanism
The Principle Engineer will need engineering skills together with experience of working on Glazing and Wiper systems design and development from concept to production is essential.
Other candidate requirements:
- Degree qualified or similar qualification as a minimum.
- CAD operation skills required - The successful candidate will be able to create and manipulate geometry for primary communication of concepts / schemes. (Expectation at least 50% time utilisation for geometry generation)
- Catia v5 operative skills - Generation of 3D geometry, 2D data & sectional data. (Key module utilisation: Part design & Geometric Surface design)
- TCUA (Team Centre) PLM utilisation.
- Experience of contributing to the delivery of closure & mechanisms engineering in the automotive sector or similar industries.
- Demonstrates appropriate depth of knowledge in relevant technical specialities.
- Evidence of engineering skills, including ability to manage and resolve engineering issues.
- Understands roles and needs of different client groups; evidence of working effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve results.
- Comply with company procedures and quality standards.
- Involved in process improvement.
- Strong numeracy and literacy.
- Highly motivated.
- Good logical reasoning.
- Working towards being Chartered Engineer is desirable.
- English language is essential, ideally offering a second language.
- Capable of overcoming cultural and Inter-functional barriers.
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Ability to strive for improvements and achieving high customer satisfaction.
Main Activities & Tasks
- Lead the generation and development of the Glazing and Wipers activities in the prescribed format.
- Lead complete vehicle Glazing & Wipers activities.
- Leading the development of the 3D and 2D models for glazing and wipers engineering
- Lead digital reviews and sign-off events for Glazing & Wipers related activities.
- Represent Glazing & Wipers team at meetings.
- Develop timing plans.
- Develop scope of work with key deliverables identified.
- Identify resource profile required to deliver projects to time & budget constraints.
- Drive closure of issues and establish cost/timing impact.
- Lead the Glazing & Wipers deliverables through to development / engineering signoff of the vehicle.
- Work with & support development engineering systems / quality systems.
- Benchmarking of competitor vehicles & reporting findings.
- To lead generation/development of design rules / best practices to secure delivery of targets.
- To contribute to delivery of UP2 (Glazing & Wipers) engineering project work for both parent company & 3rd party customers
- To provide technical support to TML in UP2 (Glazing & Wipers) engineering to ensure all engineering, legislative, craftsmanship, cost & quality targets are met.
- Report and utilise information to address UP2 (Glazing & Wipers) engineering issues from reviews
- Address UP2 (Glazing & Wipers) issues to ensure team objectives are controlled and met
- Support the development of the surfaces and design for closures
- Arranging and supporting design reviews for UP2 (Glazing & Wipers)
- Interface with Package, Analysis, Manufacturing, DVA etc and implement recommendations where appropriate to create a right first time release
- Support the development of DFMEA's