Cost Engineer - Melksham
We have an exciting new role for a Cost Engineer to give support for engineering and purchasing by providing cost transparency for a world leading Systems supplier for the design, development and manufacture to the rail industry for Braking and Platform Screen Door Systems based in Melksham.
The Cost Engineer will produce cost evaluations and cost models of parts and systems being supplied to better understand or challenge supplier's costs to the business. This will involve travel UK and Europe wide, to suppliers to understand and cost parts and systems to be supplied to the company.
The Cost Engineer will do or be involved with:
- Create cost transparency for purchased parts
- Engineering and Technical know-how for specific products and suppliers (cost structure, technology (product and manufacturing)
- Optimise costs by choosing the best technology
- Teach Engineers in cost avoidance in design
- Support the purchasing team in negotiations
- Continuous improvement of calculation methods
- Train new team members in the methodology of cost calculation and production processes
- Lead smaller cost improvement projects and benchmarking of production processes
- Target costing for selected product portfolio
- Participation in make-or-buy projects
- Ensure reference / target prices are available for purchasing in an adequate tool
- Member of cross-functional teams with R&D, quality and testing.
- Support PU & Engineering to understand purchased item's cost structures.
Professional experience and/or qualifications:
- Relevant degree in Engineering or applicable experience.
- Previous experience of cost calculation or reduction
- Experience working as an Industrial or Process Engineer.
- Experience of SAP or similar as well as MS Office Experience
- Experience in Creo or similar 3D CAD system
- Flexibility to travel is essential as can be 30 to 50% of time.
- Compilation of a know-how database
- Suggested saving potential
- Moderation of cost down workshops
- Salary - £45,000 to £50,000 - dependent upon experience.
If you believe you have the relevant skills and experience and wish to apply please send your CV to Philip Delaloye on or call on 01384446192