£300.00 - £377.00 per day
about 2 years ago
Job Title: Category Manager
Contract: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
Rate: Very competitive day rate
Defra Group Commercial (DGC) is part of Defra, the central Government Department responsible for growing the rural economy; improving the environment; and safeguarding animal and plant health. DGC is responsible for providing a commercial service to organisations within the Defra Network.
The role of Category Manager is to assist customers to deliver value effectively and innovatively in order to meet the customer organisations outcomes and objectives, whilst also fulfilling its Spending Review targets.
The post-holder will be required to award and monitor high value, high risk contracts in accordance with Defra's commercial policies and procedures. They will be expected to deliver propriety and value for money whilst applying the Commercial DNA principles.
The role will provide strategic support to the team, and involve promoting commercial policies and procedures, influencing the final outcomes, and providing advice to the business on commercial issues and governance.
The post holder will be expected to engage with National Colleagues, building the Commercial network both internally and though the wider Defra network and Government Bodies.
- Lead or participate in delivery of projects, procurements and contract management roles across the full Commercial DNA, at the appropriate level providing functional / specialist input to improve ways of working and business change & efficiency.
- Responsible for explaining specialist commercial guidance to operational teams in order to influence compliance with Defra policy / legislation / best practice ways of working and contribute to the delivery of business plans.
- Keep up to date on changing legislation / best practice externally, to inform internal priorities and appropriate alignment.
- Contribute to the development of Defra policy / process at national / local level and monitor and advise on effective implementation in the business, in line with environmental targets.
- Build and sustain effective relationships with operational customers to understand issues and provide effective response / steer for operational needs.
- Mentor and coach others on commercial procedures, practices and techniques equipping them with the knowledge and skills to deliver their work in an effective and efficient manner
- Manage team members to deliver results on time, to required quality standards and cost to fulfil the business plan and achieve / support environmental goals.
- Maximise the efficient and effective use of resources (including electronic sourcing) and people in order to ensure that all activities are completed to time, cost and quality targets.
- Support the development of Defra sub-category and category plans and develop own market category knowledge and expertise
- Assessing current strategies, cost data and commodity profiles and business needs, in order to convert gathered intelligence into a proposed strategy to leverage best possible value for assigned categories.
- Taking ownership of assigned categories, engaging the customer in order to provide the major influence on strategy direction and delivering category benefits.
- Leading change in introducing and embedding assigned categories within a challenging environment across.
- Applying skills and endeavour to challenge existing boundaries where needed and overcome challenges in implementation.
- Drives cost reduction, measures and reviews performance and implements continuous performance improvement, reporting of benefits realisation of assigned categories with over-arching business requirements.
- To facilitate the delivery of contractual arrangements and supporting structures required to deliver results on assigned categories.
- Using knowledge gained and commercial awareness to embed a category management approach.
- To support the Group Manager in acting as a change agent for assigned categories including driving relationships, preparing papers and chairing meetings, designing and delivering training solutions and presentations to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Captures future demand information and continually reviews changes in the marketplace and industry to reflect these changes within an adapting category strategy.
If you are interested in this position, please APPLY NOW. For more information, contact Lois Weston at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384446119.