Title: Carmaker 1D SME
Salary Range: £31.20
Division: Vehicle Engineering
Contract Position based at: Gaydon
Subject Matter Expert for CarMaker 1D Modelling and Master Model Repository.
1D Modelling is about modelling the primary dimensions of a problem, using an understanding of the underlying physics to allow us to build models from scratch. In this case we create IPG CarMaker 1D models through an automated process written in MATLAB from SimPack Multi Body System models. These models are used by a variety of CAE Simulation teams across the company
As a Subject Matter Expert in this area you will be in charge of implementing further capability improvements once these are developed by a partner team. You will be involved in the later stages of the method development and implement that capability within our team, including their training.
You will be the reference for technical discussions regarding the subject. In this way you will be working at the cutting edge of simulation methods and processes. The Master Model Repository is the infrastructure, based on a PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) system, which is the Single Source of Truth for Master Models.
In this role you will be in charge of incorporating new types of virtual assets into the repository, developing tools to track use of virtual assets and driving forward the process/capability for version management of virtual assets.
The third but proportionally quite important activity that will be part of the role is to create SimPack and CarMaker Master Models. You will receive in house training for this. This involves using the "virtual parts" provided by supplying teams around the company to build these "virtual prototypes" so that a wide variety of user groups can use them to develop our cars. This will include liaising with several stakeholders from a model build technical standpoint to adapt the building techniques/assumptions to the particular conditions of each programme.
3 KEY SKILLS
- Programming experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Confident to communicate across all levels
- Good team player and self-motivated
- Programming experience including object oriented programming, preferably in MATLAB, Fortran, Python, C++, Java, etc.
Experience Preferred (in order of priority):
- Experience in developing and implementing company-wide processes.
- Experience in IPG CarMaker simulation software.
- Experience using MATLAB / Simulink
- Big Data mining and analysis techniques / experience
- SIMPACK knowledge or similar MBS (Multi-Body System) software
- Understanding of Vehicle Dynamics and / or mechanical loads simulation
- Experience of maintaining traceability and structure in information in a variety of forms
- Good problem solving skills
Relevant Degree or equivalent (Automotive/Mechanical Engineering, Physical Sciences, or similar)