- Sector: Manufacturing & Materials
- Function: Purchasing and procurement
- Contact: Dan Plimmer
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: 01384 446 174
- Expiry Date: 09 June 2022
- Job Ref: 60738
Direct Commodity Buyer
Advanced Technology and manufacturing
Salary circa £40,000, 25 days holiday, excellent pension and 9 x life assurance.
We are working with this exceptional advanced engineering business that is developing manufacturing technology to assist major organisations around the world to automate production and manufacturing process. The business is backed and invested by one of the world’s most successful investment groups.
The role is to ensure that parts are procured to meet production needs from a cost, quality, and delivery perspective with a primary focus on parts made to high level specifications. You will be procuring manufactured, bespoke parts and off the shelf components from suppliers across the globe. You will have a understanding of reading engineering drawings and interpretation of bill of materials.
The buyer is expected to perform all key tasks in the procurement process including the generation of suitable commodity strategies, selection and approval of suppliers, order placement, parts expediting and the resolution of any queries relating to purchase orders placed.
- Source parts from suitable suppliers to meet the commercial and technical needs of the business.
- Place purchase orders and expedite them to fulfil MRP and project demand.
- Develop and manage suppliers for assigned commodities to ensure key performance levels are achieved.
- Develop commodity strategies to ensure capacity, capability, quality, cost and supply chain risk are understood.
- Develop packages of work and awarding contracts.
- Perform supplier approval activities as required.
- Maintain MRP part and purchase order information.
- Ensure invoice queries are resolved in a timely manner to allow payment to be released in line with agreed terms.
- Resolve quality issues with closure of corrective and preventative actions.
- Effectively communicate with other departments including production, design, stores and accounts.
- To identify opportunities for process, productivity and quality improvements by highlighting issues to management.
- To adhere to and always apply all workplace management and rules consistently.
- To actively participate in improvement projects as required.
- Develop effective relationships with all internal and external stakeholder, customers and suppliers to ensure best outcomes for the business.
You may also be required to undertake additional tasks or duties from time to time and which are reasonably within your capabilities.
- Have a minimum of 3-years purchasing experience within engineering environment with a broad knowledge of engineering commodities.
- Ability to understand and interpret technical drawings and specifications.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes for a range of commodities.
- Be able to react to changing requirements and the vision to plan supply chains for upcoming requirements.
- Proven effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience with MRP/ERP systems.
We are keen to talk to candidates from an engineering and manufacturing background and have experience of purchasing and procurement within direct commodities. The business is very busy at the moment and the future looks very good as it is trading and working with companies that are “on point” within new and emerging manufacturing markets.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.