- Sector: Defence & Aviation
- Function: Sales and business development
- Contact: Matthew Heath
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone: 01384 446187
- Duration: Permanent
- Start Date: ASAP
- Expiry Date: 27 May 2022
- Job Ref: 59996
Senior Business Development Manager - Defence (WFH)
Our client is a fast-growing, advanced engineering company that delivers a range of complex systems, solutions, products and technical services to the civil aerospace, defence and marine markets. With ambitious plans for further growth, we are seeking an experienced Business Development Manager with an established track-record in the marine market sector to join and lead their Marine Systems business market sector in both their established and emerging markets worldwide.
You will have demonstrable business development skills and experience with a positive and proactive approach to Business Development, with an ability to identify client needs in advance of the formal tendering process, develop sales campaigns and construct compelling proposals
Applicants must have a strong business development mind-set and account management skills. It is highly advantageous that the successful candidate has an existing network of contacts within the MoD and wider marine domain and can use these to support this rapidly growing business. The ability to achieve and maintain UK Security Clearance is a pre-requisite for this role.
This role will be based in their Bristol offices with occasional travel to clients' sites as required however as part of their commitment to flexible working, employees are able to work remotely.
Main responsibilities include:
- Identification of new market opportunities and profiling of customer needs, from which to develop new sales campaigns and value propositions.
- Through new and ongoing relationship building, keeping abreast of current trends within the marine defence market, specifically the submarine and UUV sectors.
- Responsibility for the complete sales process including lead generation, capture planning, solution creation, proposal writing and contract negotiations.
- Creation of sales presentation material and commercial proposals as well as contributing to new service introduction initiatives.
- Winning sales orders to support ambitious growth plans and growing / managing an effective pipeline of business opportunities.
- Developing and maintaining Key Account Plans for established clients and capture plans for new clients.
- Seeking and understanding competitors' offerings in the market segment; their offerings and technologies, assessment of their strengths and weaknesses, define their price competitive response.
- Maintaining up-to-date account, campaign and opportunity information and status in SalesForce as our chosen CRM system.
- Produce regular reports and business updates as requested.
- Supporting the promotion of the brand through digital means (website and social media) and attending and/or exhibiting at key industry events.
Reporting to the Vice President and Executive Management Team (EMT), you will work within and contribute to a project-oriented matrix organisation comprising of cross-functional teams made up of marketing professionals, project managers and engineers allocated to specific bids and projects.
The Business Development Manager will collaborate closely with their counterparts in the parent company to jointly manage common client account plans and develop joint offerings.
Qualifications, knowledge and skills
- Sales / Business Development experience in a marine engineering environment with relevant business or engineering qualifications.
- Sales / Business Development experience in an engineering services or engineering consultancy organisation.
- Knowledge of the domestic and international marine defence market sector trends, MoD procurement and major players (particularly submarine or other near-field highly regulated industry) covering customers/competitors, market segment values, new platform developments, technology providers.
- An appreciation of the core engineering capabilities, in particular, system design, product development, modelling and simulation and control theory.
- Knowledge and experience in using CRM systems, preferably SalesForce.
- An understanding of Export Control, Dual-Use and Foreign Regulatory Framework (ITAR, EAR) is highly desirable.
- Skills and experience in creating proposals and sales presentations.
Independent, self-motivated and flexible with a can-do attitude, this role is seeking an entrepreneurial and innovative business mind-set with ability to travel domestically and internationally as required.
If you feel you have skills, experience and approach, please apply directly or contact Matthew Heath (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.