Job Title: Clerk of Works
Contract Length: 3 months minimum
A Building Clerk of Works is required to join an automotive testing and education facility based on the University of Warwick campus in Coventry. This will be for an initial 3 month contract and you will be paid a generous daily rate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accept responsibility for the supervision of the implementation of construction works ensuring the use of correct materials and workmanship resulting in quality of work and value for money for the University
- Be familiar with all relevant drawings, specifications and contract instructions to be used as reference when inspecting site works
- Make visual inspections for quality control purposes and where necessary and in accordance with contract procedures take measurements, samples for testing, and request opening up works to ensure specified standards are adhered to
- Establish the requirements of statutory legislation relevant to the implementation of the work and monitor and/or obtain approvals from the appropriate authorities
- Receive the project plan at the commencement of the project and monitor performance against plan, escalating variances to Contract Administrators / Managers
- In collaboration with Project Managers and CDM Coordinators assess the contractors proposals for methods of work and advise where amendments are required
- Work in collaboration with the appointed contractors advising (not instructing) on working methods and details and escalating issues to Project Managers as they arise, where corrective instruction may be required
- Keeps detailed records of activities and conditions during implementation of the work.
- Where required provide formal ‘clerk of works’ reports to contract progress meetings
- Co-ordinate and disseminate information to all necessary parties, ensuring all Health and Safety at Work (HASAW) regulations are fully complied with (CDM, COSHH etc.)
- At the completion of projects conduct inspections, testing and witnessing of completed work, recording defects, unfinished work and work not in accordance with specification for issuing with formal contract instructions
- Where appropriate oversee the building commissioning process and assist the Project Manager in ensuring a fully integrated managed transition from delivery to operational phase. Liaise closely with the estates operations teams in this respect
- In collaboration with the Estates Design Manager ensure, where appropriate, assist the completion of the Post Project Review process is completed for all relevant capital and other major projects in accordance with HEFCE and HEQDF guidance
The post holder must be able to demonstrate:
- A construction related first degree or Higher Technician qualification or equivalent technical qualification in a construction related discipline
- Professional membership of an appropriate professional body (e.g. LICWCI, MICWCI or FICWCI) would be desirable
- Commitment to continuing professional development
- Extensive experience of construction implementation probably as a tradesman supervisor and manager
- Experience in a ‘client side’ or consultancy environment
- Competency in the use of construction contracts and their administration, construction technology, building design and specification (including National Building Specification (NBS))
- Construction legislation knowledge including health and Safety, as client, designer and principal contractor
- Working knowledge of building services and controls systems and AutoCAD
- All-round knowledge of the construction process probably underpinned with expertise in a discipline specialism
- Ability to form strong working relationships with the Estates team and with stakeholders, both internal and external
If you are interested in this position, please APPLY NOW. For more information, contact Lois Weston at Jonathan Lee Recruitment on 01384446119.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Contracts are those of an Employment Business.