Senior Design Engineer (Motorcycle)
Our client is a highly recognised motorcycle brand with real heritage in the UK and internationally. As the oldest motorcycle brand in continuous production, we are seeking a Senior Design Engineer where, as part of the Global Technical Organisation and reporting to the Lead Engineer, you will be involved working from concept stage through to the start of production.
You will work with established cross-functional teams in Industrial Design, Product Development and Genuine Motorcycle Accessories but predominantly support the global Vehicle Development Engineering Team to ensure that product projects are delivered accurately, meeting the requirements from all departments.
Experience from the automotive and/or motorcycle sector is required.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Develop suspension, tyres, chassis geometry, braking systems and ergonomics for new and updated chassis projects, considering function, cost and product requirements.
- Produce excellent quality inspection data.
- Produce excellent quality 2D inspection drawings.
- Develop and help maintain development and test procedures.
- Follow development and test procedures.
- Produce supporting documentation for development tests and activities, as required.
- Liaise with internal departments such as, Product Strategy, Industrial Design, Sourcing, Manufacturing, Quality and Assembly.
- Liaise with external suppliers.
- Consider and comply with regulatory requirements where needed.
- Have a good understanding of the application of regulatory requirements for automotive/motorcycles.
- Manage their own time and workload effectively.
- Create and manage timing plans for their areas of responsibility.
- Mentor new engineers within the team.
- Support with the training and development of engineers.
- Provide guidance to other team members where required.
- Represent the development team in interdepartmental meetings in the absence of the team leader or lead engineer.
- Plan and conduct UK and overseas tests, responsible for the whole team including riders, technicians, engineers and external contractors during development activities.
As a Senior Design Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting the delivery of motorcycle projects on time and in full. The role will begin at the early concept stage working with the product strategy department where you will be responsible to conduct benchmark testing to set early development targets. The responsibility will then move to developing the motorcycle project with
the chassis engineering team to reach the dynamic targets set. The Engineer will then support the validation process to ensure the motorcycle maintains the dynamic targets set at early
Based from their offices in Leicester but with a hybrid working arrangement (following a successful completion of probation), candidates should have/be:
- Qualified to degree level or similar
- Proficient in producing 2D inspection drawings and be proficient in the use of 3D measuring systems
- Have minimum 2-years of experience in a similar role in a motorcycle environment
- Past experience in engineering design and chassis set up of motorcycles where possible.
- Good knowledge of suspension systems, tyres, wheels and braking systems on board vehicle.
- Good understanding of automotive/motorcycle geometry, chassis layout, ergonomics and chassis construction.
- Practical experience of vehicle maintenance and preparation along with suspension unit service and maintenance is advantageous
- Experience in chassis development testing.
- Some experience in 3D CAD design; knowledge of CREO is advantageous – other CAD software would be actively considered
Where possible, you should also have the following experience:
- Literate in Google Suite / MS Office software
- Knowledge or / interest in chassis and systems development and testing
- Knowledge of motorcycle design and development process preferred
- Understanding of PLM systems
- Past experience in development tests.
This position offers a competitive salary range. Therefore, if you are interested in this strategically focused position, then please apply directly.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.
In order for your CV to be processed effectively, please ensure your name, email address, phone number and location (post code OR town OR county, as a minimum) are included