Senior Vehicle Development Engineer – Advanced Engineering
In support of the identification and development of forward-thinking product and technology development within motorcycle design and production, we are seeking a Senior Vehicle Development Engineer – Advanced Engineering to support our highly recognised motorcycle brand. Relating automotive experience would be considered.
With a focus on future innovation, creative ideas, ‘out-of-the-box’ concept development, this role will work to identify your own ideas, but also consider the competitions concepts and take them to the next level.
As a Senior Vehicle Development Engineer – Advanced Engineering, you will be responsible for supporting the delivery of motorcycle technology projects on time and in full. The role will begin at the early idea and concept stage working with the Product Strategy department where you will be responsible to conduct research and benchmark testing to set early development targets. The responsibility will then move to selecting the best solution and developing the system / components to reach the derived functional & performance targets set. You will conduct the validation process, producing prototypes and supporting testing where appropriate.
You will work with cross-functional teams in Industrial Design, Product Development (Powertrain, Electrical, Vehicle Dynamics etc.), Manufacturing and Genuine Motorcycle Accessories but predominantly to deliver solutions to the Vehicle Development Engineering Teams which meet the requirements from all departments to progress to volume production.
Based from their offices in Leicester but with a hybrid working arrangement (following a successful completion of probation), responsibilities will involve:
- Research and feasibility studies, working from concept stage through to prototype demonstration and validation.
- Develop and validate Chassis technologies, systems and components related to; suspension, structures, chassis geometry, braking systems, wheels & tyres, bodywork and ergonomics, considering function, performance, cost, manufacturing and service requirements.
- Produce excellent quality 3D CAD schemes (CREO or similar), models and 2D engineering drawings to provide clear understanding of the proposed technology design.
- Consider and comply with regulatory requirements where needed.
- Produce supporting documentation for development tests and activities, as required.
- Support testing department with the fixturing & testing of components & motorcycles.
- Plan and conduct UK and overseas tests, working closely with the whole team including test riders, technicians, engineers and external contractors during development activities.
- Liaise with internal departments such as, Product Strategy, Industrial Design, Sourcing, Vehicle Dynamics, Manufacturing, Quality and Assembly.
- Share best practices with the product development team and record / document for future reference in Technical Guidelines and Test Procedures.
- Document & report project findings, future recommendations and prepare handover information.
- Liaise with external suppliers.
- Manage any contractors or technicians allocated to help with development activities.
- Manage their own time and workload effectively.
- Create and manage timing plans for their areas of responsibility.
- Provide guidance to other team members where required.
- Represent the development team in interdepartmental meetings in the absence of the team leader or lead engineer.
- Other design & development related tasks to support the Product Development teams.
- Qualified to degree level or similar
- Proficient in producing 2D inspection drawings and be proficient in the use of 3D measuring systems
- 3+ years relevant experience in a similar role
- Past experience in engineering design.
- Experience in vehicle development and component validation testing.
- Good understanding of materials, their application and manufacturing methods.
- Good knowledge of rapid prototyping methods and their constraints.
- Knowledge / interest in Chassis Development and testing
- Understanding of chassis systems, such as suspension, tyres, wheels and braking systems.
Where possible, you should also have the following experience:
- Literate in Google Suite / MS Office software
- Experience / knowledge of CREO 3D CAD software is advantageous.
- Understanding of PLM systems.
- Practical experience of vehicle maintenance and preparation is advantageous
- Good understanding of automotive/motorcycle geometry, chassis layout, ergonomics and chassis construction.
- Knowledge of motorcycle design and development process would be ideal as well as understanding the application of regulatory requirements for motorcycles. However, relating automotive experience will be actively considered.
This position offers a competitive salary range. Therefore, if you are interested in this strategically focused position, then please apply directly.
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.